Banking advice poor credit

plovdiv

I am a uk resident shortly to receive my Australian passport as I am also an Australian citizen.

I am considering emigrating to Australia and starting again.

I have a poor/bad credit rating. I wish to open a basic bank account in Australia. I do not want any lines of credit or loans. Is it possible to open basic accounts; somewhere to pay a salary into, have a cashpoint card and pay DDs ? Can someone advise me of a bank to approach ?

Yrs

Plovdiv

I have a poor/bad credit rating. I wish to open a basic bank account in Australia. I do not want any lines of credit or loans. Is it possible to open basic accounts; somewhere to pay a salary into, have a cashpoint card and pay DDs ? Can someone advise me of a bank to approach ?

Sounds like a description of my NAB account: no debit card, just a cr*ppy cashpoint card you can't use to pay for stuff in shops. You can open the account online from the UK though.

I would imagine so, certainly can in the UK. It's a basic necessity, everyone needs one.

Interesting. I have no wish to run and hide but need to start again from albeit a very low base ! Surely a bank would do a credit check on me or ask about my UK history ?

Interesting. I have no wish to run and hide but need to start again from albeit a very low base ! Surely a bank would do a credit check on me or ask about my UK history ?

No, they wouldn't. And interestingly enough not having a credit history in Australia is often good news since it appears that all they look at is whether or no you had black marks on your Australian credit history in the past - meaning you have a better credit score than an Australian who missed a payment 20 years ago.

No, they wouldn't. And interestingly enough not having a credit history in Australia is often good news since it appears that all they look at is whether or no you had black marks on your Australian credit history in the past - meaning you have a better credit score than an Australian who missed a payment 20 years ago.

Gosh. I think I ought to bung in my passport application and just get on with rebuilding my life ! I feel I have more chance of sorting out everything from Aus than I do in the UK !

Archived