Australian Child, moved around the world now wants to return to Oz

freyja5032

Quinkla is talking about 2 seperate things. "Lifetime health cover loading" and "Medicare Levy"

Yes, but the point is that Quinkla didn't get the Medicare terminology quite right.

Quinkla should have said the 'Medicare Levy Surcharge' when referring to the "tax payable if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health cover".

Yes, but the point is that Quinkla didn't get the Medicare terminology quite right.

Quinkla should have said the 'Medicare Levy Surcharge' when referring to the "tax payable if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health cover".

There is also a Medicare Levy Rebate .. but you don't get that if you earn enough either ..

No - I got my terminology right. The Medicare Levy Surcharge is another thing again. The threshold for the Medicare levy is about $21,000 and the threshold for the MLS is about $90,000. I didn't mention the MLS as it hadn't been mentioned by others and is effectively just an extension of the Medicare Levy.

No - I got my terminology right. The Medicare Levy Surcharge is another thing again. The threshold for the Medicare levy is about $21,000 and the threshold for the MLS is about $90,000. I didn't mention the MLS as it hadn't been mentioned by others and is effectively just an extension of the Medicare Levy.

No, you said (and I quote) "Medicare Levy - a tax payable if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health cover. It might be taken by employers or might be payable after your annual tax return."

The Medicare Levy has nothing to do with whether you have private health cover or not. People with private health cover pay the Medicare Levy at the same rate as people who do not have private health cover.

What you are referring to in the above sentence is the Medicare Levy Surcharge, which has everything to do with whether you have private health cover, in that people who have private health cover do not pay the surcharge.

If you really meant the Medicare Levy - why did you mention private health cover?

The Medicare Levy has nothing to do with whether you have private health cover or not. People with private health cover pay the Medicare Levy at the same rate as people who do not have private health cover.

What you are referring to in the above sentence is the Medicare Levy Surcharge, which has everything to do with whether you have private health cover, in that people who have private health cover do not pay the surcharge.

I have googled and you are right. I wondered whether things might have changed since I first came to Australia, but they haven't. I stand corrected.

• 8 months later...

Just going over this thread, touched by some of the very helpful and thoughtful replies.

As an update, looks like I might be heading to Sydney with a work transfer in the end! I don't have much notice so panicking a bit but as you can see I've obviously had this at the back or sometimes front of my mind for quite some time...

thanks guys, once again x