Anyone going to Tasmania?

tasormelb

Hello to you all. I am new to this site. I have just applied for a 175 visa and have found information from this site really interesting.

I am a nurse and already have a fab job offer in Melbourne. When we visited Melbourne in January, although we were impressed with life style, friendly people etc we felt a certain something was missing. After researching at home we think the magic ingredient we are seeking is in Tasmania. However I an worried about work prospects in Tas for my husband, he has worked as a supervisor in a small warehouse for the last 20yrs. Does anyone reading who lives, works or have visited Tasmania know how easy it would be for hubby to get work around Hobart?

Also we have 2 children 12 and 9 years. What are schools like in Tas? From looking on the internet I quite like the sound of the primary and high schools in Taroona, does anyone have any information about these?

Any information given will be appreciated no matter how small of trivial you might think it is!

:cute:

Guest Colin R

We live in Tassie and arrived here 18 months ago. I had visited many times before we moved here so it wasnt new! We love it over here We live in Kingston which is not far from Hobart. there are numnerous job opportunities over here and certainly for nurses. New investment is coming into Tasmania all the time and it is changing we are having a large direct factory outlet complex being built new the airport there are a number of big stores and warehouses springing up near the airport. and they all have distribution warehouses in Moonah ,Glenorcy or Derwent Park. I think that most have web sites , Clive Peters, Harvey Norman, Myers, Beacon Lighting, Retrovision,Fantastic Furniture, Bunnings, Mitre 10, there are loads more but sorry cant think of them off the top of my head at the moment brain gone!.

Taroona is a good school both for the primary and the senior school ( Taroona High has a claim to fame it was where Princess Mary of Denmark went to school) its not snobby though and it has a great feel about it . Many of the teachers come into the shop and we had a girl from there on work experience she was very polite and a really nice girl.

Tasmania is a great place to bring up children lots to do and its a safe comfortable place. We were never ones for cities and Hobart although it is a city really has the feel of a large town but with all the facilities Uk towns could only wish for.

Sally

Guest The Cutches

Hiya and welcome to PIO. There are a few people on here heading to TAS including us. Soz but I don't know about the work for you and Hubby. With regards to schools, we visited 2 high schools and one primary but they were around Howrah and we were very impressed by all of them. Were are planning to do our validation in Oct if we haven't sold our house by then and we are now looking at the Kingston area to. We'll be checking out the schools to so I'll keep you posted. Good luck with your plans, best wishes.

CC

x

Hello, Thank you Sally and the Cutches for your replies. It is not ideal coming to Tas without visiting first. It is a shame we picked the wrong region to visit on our reccie trip in January. Now after paying all fees for visa application we can't afford another trip. The only option is that I visit by myself leaving Dave and kids at home, kids are not happy with this option!

Sally, your info was excellent, did a google on some of the company names you gave me and found a job to suit Dave within 5mins. Also very promising with all development around airport it seems quite encouraging that jobs will be available.

The Cutches, we are also researching Kingston as possible area to settle, houses look fab and scenery wonderful. Its good to know that you were impressed with the schools as this is a big consideration when deciding where to settle. What type of visa is a 457? It appears that you had your visa 6 mths from applying. Wow, if thats the case we may get ours by Christmas!

I also received a information pack today from Joanna at the department of Economic Development. After watching the DVD can't wait to get there. Tasmania looks so beautiful and seems to have everything we are looking for. Just need to get through the dreaded medicals now!

It would be good to keep in touch with you guys and perhaps meet in the 'promised land' in the future.

take care

Vanessa

Guest The Cutches

Hi Vanessa,

We have got a provisional visa and have had sponsorship from TAS, after 2 years we apply for PR which is pretty straight forward. What are the timescales like for the 175?

CC

x

Guest Colin R

Actually the waiting is worse than childbirth, and having a tooth extraction without an injection.all on the same day !!!!!

Sally

x

What an excellent comparison Sally! I just keep on telling myself that instead of being so impatient I should make the most of our time in the UK. For example our fab weather (just started to rain again), lovely beauty spots (can't afford the petrol to visit them though) and my dream job of being nurse in oncology/heamotolgy ward (shame rest of NHS in terrible state).

On a serious note I will try and use the waiting time to make the most of familiy and friends we may not see again and enjoy my lovely dogs who we can't bring with us as we feel its unfair to subject them to flight and quarantine.

Vanessa

Guest Colin R

I hated the wait it felt like we were in limbo for ages and really for us it was very quick and we were lucky house sale and visa through in 5 months but then it was almost 2 years ago!! But all I can say is it is worth it. Tasmania is a great place,

We did bring our 2 dogs with us they had never been in kennels before. they were fine. I know what you mean though I was so worried about them we didnt bring our cat for that reason I didnt think that she would stand the flight and in fact she is spoiled rotton at a friends who adopted her . As for the weather a bit chilly today but no rain in fact we could do with some and soon . roses still blooming in the garden Camilia's starting to come out and the bulbs are up. Bright sunshine too. Best thing is to look forward and like you said make the best of things at the moment

Sally

Guest The Cutches
Actually the waiting is worse than childbirth, and having a tooth extraction without an injection.all on the same day !!!!!

Sally

x

Lol... I'm with you on that one Sally! Now that my parents and my brother and his wife have decided to come to, it's all we ever talk about which makes the waiting even more of a killer for all of us!:goofy:

Hi, just jumping in really before I have to log off so one of the above posts may have answered my query. Do you know if there are any opportunities for Accountants in Tasmania and PA's? I've looked on SEEK before and disregarded Tasmania as literally 2 jobs came up. Any advice you can give would be a great help. Thanks

Sam

Guest Colin R

Hi Sam,

Check out the government web site for jobs there have been quite a few just lately for accountants .google jobs in Tasmanian Goverment

Sally

• 5 months later...
Guest yhu2008

Hi guys, I'm nes here. I'm planning to travel around in Tassi, if anyone can give me advice or suggestion for beautiful place and things I need beware.

please help me

E

Archived