Take a car with us - or buy in Aus?

Guest thistles and gum trees

Could anyone tell me it it's worthwhile taking a car over or if the price is similar over there to buy. From what we can see the car prices over there are a lot higher than in the UK - is that the case? Also we have read that you must own your car in the UK for at least 12 months before you can take it over. Does anyone know if this is actually correct? Thanks for your help. Dave

Could anyone tell me it it's worthwhile taking a car over or if the price is similar over there to buy. From what we can see the car prices over there are a lot higher than in the UK - is that the case? Also we have read that you must own your car in the UK for at least 12 months before you can take it over. Does anyone know if this is actually correct? Thanks for your help. Dave

Buy your car when you get here. Prices here are not high by UK standards, but secondhand cars hold their price better here because cars don't rust so much.

Look here for examples:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/

A brand new Hyundai Getz here is $15990 on the Road (about 6,650 quid)

A brand new Holden (Vauhhall) Vectra is about $27,900 on the road (about 11.660 quid) on the road

Australian built (SCertain Ford and Holden models) and Asian cars (Japanese, Korean etc (Toyota, Mazda, Mistubishi, Subaru, Hyundai, Suzuki etc) are much cheaper than european, obviously...

Guest spray21

Prices may not seem that cheap but cars do hold their values better than in the UK.

You can take your car with you however old it is, but as with all goods you import if they are less than 12months old you face paying import duties when you bring them to Oz.

With cars, you also have to have checks done to prove they are ok in Australia - I don't know the prices of these but I have been advised by several people that the cost of the checks plus the taxes plus the transportation means that it is not really cost-effective to ship a car to Oz.

Guest austibeach

Exporting cars has been a part of my family's business for over 30 years and we have never exported to Australia, as it is quite simply not economically viable. In short, buy in Oz.

Eric.

Thank you all for your help. I guess we buy down there! It's really tough though as we are currently stationed overseas and entitled to buy a duty free car!! Never mind. I have heard about government car auctions and hear that is a good place to start (better deal etc). Does anyone know anything about this and if there is an auction place in Victoria (SE). Thanks

I have heard about government car auctions and hear that is a good place to start (better deal etc). Does anyone know anything about this and if there is an auction place in Victoria (SE). Thanks

Yup... one at Altona (Fowles Auction Goup) http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/auctionList.aspx?office=AU10 And one in West Footscray / Braybrook area but I can't remember who it is. i will try to find out.

Thanks Fraser, appreciate the help. The "Aberdeen heritage"in me will creep out when it comes to buying cars.....

How is the weather with you? David is flying back to Scotland tonight for a week - I believe it's REALLY cold right now - enjoy your summer!!

Archived