Returning to the UK with an Australian husband/wife

Eilsbobails

Hi there, hoping for some guidance.

Im from Scotland, husband is Aussie and we've just submitted our application for him to return with me to the UK with me.

i wondered if anyone could give us a bit of guidance, we've submitted the following documents and from my research have done as much as we can but are super confused about the processing times, as the website says applications from Brisbane should take around 10 days... But I'm concerned this isn't accurate. Has anyone had recent experience of how long the process takes? Also if the docs below are likely to be sufficient?

We submitted: evidence of our relationship including joint bank accounts, rental agreement from Australia, marriage certificate, social media proof, emails, flights taken together etc, wedding photos, other photos and cards, then also a letter from my current employer outlining salary, time of employment etc, 6 months payslips, a written job offer and contract from my new employer in the UK, new rental agreement in the uk and a letter from the owner of the property, a letter of support of the application from me as sponsor, 6 months of my bank statements stamped by the bank... It's slightly terrifying that they might reject it, do they give a reason or just a flat out no?

Hi there, hoping for some guidance.

Im from Scotland, husband is Aussie and we've just submitted our application for him to return with me to the UK with me.

i wondered if anyone could give us a bit of guidance, we've submitted the following documents and from my research have done as much as we can but are super confused about the processing times, as the website says applications from Brisbane should take around 10 days... But I'm concerned this isn't accurate. Has anyone had recent experience of how long the process takes? Also if the docs below are likely to be sufficient?

We submitted: evidence of our relationship including joint bank accounts, rental agreement from Australia, marriage certificate, social media proof, emails, flights taken together etc, wedding photos, other photos and cards, then also a letter from my current employer outlining salary, time of employment etc, 6 months payslips, a written job offer and contract from my new employer in the UK, new rental agreement in the uk and a letter from the owner of the property, a letter of support of the application from me as sponsor, 6 months of my bank statements stamped by the bank... It's slightly terrifying that they might reject it, do they give a reason or just a flat out no?

You didn't need 90% of that stuff. If you've got a marriage certificate you don't need any other proof of your relationship. Then the only other thing you need to submit is proof that you meet the financial requirement - which you're doing with your new job.

Then he goes for his biometric interview and then it's about three or four weeks wait.

The only thing you don't mention is Appendix 2. Did you submit that, because if you didn't, it may be rejected.

Hi there, yes we submitted that along with the financial requirement form

etc and every other form I could find that might apply!

Have you been through the process recently?

Yes, last May. We did it in Sydney.

When we did it, there was no financial requirement form, that must have changed.

He submitted the basic application form online. Then he had to make an appointment for his biometric interview, print off the application, and take it and his other documents to submit to the interviewer on the day.

All he took was the application, his passport, his financial evidence, Appendix 2, and the passport photos. They checked to make sure it was all in order before accepting it (he had to dash off and get some more passport photos in the chemist downstairs as they weren't acceptable!). We were told it could take 3 months for approval but it came through in a few weeks.

Basically if you've been married long enough and you meet the financial requirement, you'll be approved. There is no other criteria.

Yes, last May. We did it in Sydney.

When we did it, there was no financial requirement form, that must have changed.

He submitted the basic application form online. Then he had to make an appointment for his biometric interview, print off the application, and take it and his other documents to submit to the interviewer on the day.

All he took was the application, his passport, his financial evidence, Appendix 2, and the passport photos. They checked to make sure it was all in order before accepting it (he had to dash off and get some more passport photos in the chemist downstairs as they weren't acceptable!). We were told it could take 3 months for approval but it came through in a few weeks.

Basically if you've been married long enough and you meet the financial requirement, you'll be approved. There is no other criteria.

Well we literally just got married last Saturday! Got engaged last September and decided we wanted to get married in front of our Australian friends and family before we went home. We've been together for just under 2 years, have given evidence of the relationship like I said so hopefully that will work....

Well we literally just got married last Saturday! Got engaged last September and decided we wanted to get married in front of our Australian friends and family before we went home. We've been together for just under 2 years, have given evidence of the relationship like I said so hopefully that will work....

Aha, now I see why you submitted all the extra material! I thought the rule was you had to be in a relationship for AT LEAST 2 years, so now I am worried.

Also that needs to be 2 full years in a de facto relationship, so it doesn't count the time you were just dating either.

My wife has just applied for her Spouse Visa and had her biometric interview on 24/3; Marisa's kind help was invaluable, but I did not see any separate financial requirement form either. She filled the basic form online, and we filled Appendix 2 and provided the certificates, passports and required financial proofs, nothing more.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this one; my wife received her visa today, 25/5. Initial application made 21/3 and booked application appointment 24/3, so 2 months from application to visa. Only did online application and Appendix 2. No further information on accommodation given.

Quick update on this one; my wife received her visa today, 25/5. Initial application made 21/3 and booked application appointment 24/3, so 2 months from application to visa. Only did online application and Appendix 2. No further information on accommodation given.

Hi all, my husband received his visa yesterday. Applied with biometrics on the 29th March. Absolutely delighted. Submitted all the documents declared above.

Hi all, my husband received his visa yesterday. Applied with biometrics on the 29th March. Absolutely delighted. Submitted all the documents declared above.

Hi, can I ask if that was an EEA visa? We are about to apply for myself and children, my husband has an Irish passport and we are moving for his job to England so come under the EEA. Online we were told 10 days to process but the two months has me a bit freaked out.... thank you :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Jemvin, yes we had to travel to the UK within 30 days from the date that we chose to travel.

We chose to travel from June 1 2016, so the vignette part of the visa (in passport) was dated June 1, and we had 30 days from this date to get to the UK.

The Biometric part of the visa (like a plastic ID card) was available to us from June 8 and we had 10 days to pick this up from landing in the UK. So, we landed on the 16th June, and we picked up the biometric on the 22nd.

Make sure that you pick up the biometric part of your visa, as it is this that allows you to stay in the UK. The vignette portion in the passport is simply to get you landed and into the country.

Cheers

Myles

Hi Jemvin, yes we had to travel to the UK within 30 days from the date that we chose to travel.

We chose to travel from June 1 2016, so the vignette part of the visa (in passport) was dated June 1, and we had 30 days from this date to get to the UK.

The Biometric part of the visa (like a plastic ID card) was available to us from June 8 and we had 10 days to pick this up from landing in the UK. So, we landed on the 16th June, and we picked up the biometric on the 22nd.

Make sure that you pick up the biometric part of your visa, as it is this that allows you to stay in the UK. The vignette portion in the passport is simply to get you landed and into the country.

My apologies, that must be a new development. We arrived in May 2015 and didn't have to pick anything up! So things have changed within the last year.

You didn't need 90% of that stuff. If you've got a marriage certificate you don't need any other proof of your relationship. Then the only other thing you need to submit is proof that you meet the financial requirement - which you're doing with your new job.

Then he goes for his biometric interview and then it's about three or four weeks wait.

The only thing you don't mention is Appendix 2. Did you submit that, because if you didn't, it may be rejected.

Hi Marisa, I have not been on this page for some time, but I do remember your posts about how much you were looking forward to returning home. Could I take the liberty of asking how it went and why you have decided to come back to Australia?

Hi Marisa, I have not been on this page for some time, but I do remember your posts about how much you were looking forward to returning home. Could I take the liberty of asking how it went and why you have decided to come back to Australia?

Hi, I don't want to take this thread off topic so I've sent you a Private Message.

Actually, I'm not sure I ever said I was looking forward to returning home. I'm unusual in that I didn't go back to the UK because I missed it (I've never had a day's homesickness in my life!), I went back because my oh developed a sun allergy and also we wanted to do a lot of travelling in Europe in our retirement to keep us busy - and that would be cheaper to do from the UK.

Hi I'm planning on returning to the uk at the end of the year and have a job offer lined up as part of the spouse visa. I have an ozzy wife and two children born here. I'm originally from the uk and have lived here 7 years.

in regards to the job offer does anyone know how long I would have to stay in the job? What if a better job offer came up a few months after I arrive back??

cheers!!!

Archived