Being a minority in Gold Coast

Wooba

After our recent trip to Australia I've sort of fallen in love with the idea of moving to Gold Coast rather than Sydney.

But my spouse is really worried about moving there. Of course there's the issue of less jobs, but her biggest concern is the lack of diversity there and the impact it could have on her life there. She's from Brazil and has darker skin. She could be easily mistaken for Indian without hearing her speak. She's worried about potential discrimination day to day and possible impact in finding work. It doesn't concern her to be the one of few minorities, only the treatment she may receive because of it.

I think she may have a valid concern, although I think it won't be as much as she thinks. But what do I know as an outside myself.

Any thought?

Thanks..

There are some historic terms which come across as very racist however they are used by some dinosaurs mostly men and refer to some of the early immigrant communities. Contemporary Brisbane and Gold Coast welcomes all cultures and are no more prejudice than any other Austrain cities in my experience.

S

Oz is so multi-racial and multi-cultural no one would take any notice of your wife. I'm thinking what you mean is - would she be mistaken for an aboriginal and how that would affect her life here. I don't think that sort of blanket discrimination exists anymore. People here are judged on their character and behaviour.

I wasn't thinking specifically of her being mistaken for aboriginal, just a dark immigrant in general. She has no concerns in Sydney, but does in Gold Coast just because it's so white.

I'm sure the posts on here will reassure her however. Thanks for the responses..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived