How much savings will I require

The Smith Clan

We are a family of 5 moving to Brisbane kids will be 13,11 and 7. How much in savings would you advise to bring or did you use whilst finding work and what would be the minimum amount of time we should at least account for (until get a job)

I am a social worker and my husband will be need to retrain for his gas engineer role also qualified mechanical engineer. I know I will also have to retrain so may not be able to jump into social worker role.

All help appreciated.

Maria x

I would suggest 6x your current monthly expenditure as a minimum plus the cash to buy a second hand car ($2k minimum as they are quite a bit more expensive in Australia) and maybe $5k more for setup costs (including rental deposit, some basics whilst you are waiting for your container to arrive (or the cost of replacing everything if you're not shipping).

Hopefully you'll get work quickly but increasingly people don't or the wages are significantly less than expectation just to secure that first job.

We got through £70k in 12 months but were rather extravagant as we were used to being affluent in the UK and didn't adjust as quickly as we should have!

I would suggest 6x your current monthly expenditure as a minimum plus the cash to buy a second hand car ($2k minimum as they are quite a bit more expensive in Australia) and maybe $5k more for setup costs (including rental deposit, some basics whilst you are waiting for your container to arrive (or the cost of replacing everything if you're not shipping).

Hopefully you'll get work quickly but increasingly people don't or the wages are significantly less than expectation just to secure that first job.

We got through £70k in 12 months but were rather extravagant as we were used to being affluent in the UK and didn't adjust as quickly as we should have!

That's really useful to know. I'll be in a similar situation very soon, although we'll have the option to stay with family if we need to. I have to say, the work aspect of the move is worrying me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
We are a family of 5 moving to Brisbane kids will be 13,11 and 7. How much in savings would you advise to bring or did you use whilst finding work and what would be the minimum amount of time we should at least account for (until get a job)

I am a social worker and my husband will be need to retrain for his gas engineer role also qualified mechanical engineer. I know I will also have to retrain so may not be able to jump into social worker role.

All help appreciated.

i am looking into this too , I am a sw too. will your oh work? have u applied for posts yet in brisbane? I am between brisbane sydney and mekbourne

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote

We arrived with $30k for setup/get going costs back in August. We've got about 8k left, but then i had a job to come to, and started the day after i arrived, so didn't miss a single pay packet.

That covered 2 cars, rental bond, furnishing a house - inc sofas, beds etc etc.

$20k should cover those kinds of costs and then its just the monthly living costs until you get a job to cover.

If you read back through threads on here you will see people have SUCCESSFULLY migrated with all amounts, some only brought 1000gbp to tide them over and they lived within their means and managed fine.

If you want to have the top house, nice car, meals out etc you will need to bring a lot of cash with you as for the first 12 mths all you seem to do is spend, be it on driving licences, utility connections, school fees etc..

Cal x