Finance question

Stuart Mcsporran

Hi all was wondering if someone can answer or point me in right direction, we are moving back to the UK and bought our Hyundai here last October, we are not taking the car back with us but what do we do about the finance that's left on it do I phone the company and explain we are heading home due to family matters.

What will they say

Will I need to try sell the ix35 and have to pay the remaining balance, any help would be great.

Thanks

You have a contract in place to pay for the car. What does the contract say?

I expect that the finance company will be pretty well protected in the terms of the contract, so they should not expect to suffer any detriment through your decision to terminate early. They will not be interested in the reasons why you need to leave the country, only that the terms of the contract are somehow met.

It's always a risk when you take out expensive items on finance without a clear definitive future plan. Maybe work out how much you have left to pay, and work out how much the car is worth. That will at least tell you what kind of gap you are looking at, because I bet you will owe more than the car's current value.

If in the very worst situation, you tell the finance company that you can't pay, and that the car will be left at the airport with the keys in the sun visor, then it will be up to the finance company to somehow seek redress. They may have plans to chase debt overseas, maybe not. It may be more difficult than its worth to chase the debt.

A tricky situation indeed. Good luck.

Archived