457 Visa - Company can't pay market rate salary. Suggestions?

belothy

Hello All,

Back in November a company in Adelaide invited me to go see them after I inquired about a position. They didn't have anything at the time, but have now came back to let me know that they have a job, but that they are "not yet in a position to look at a higher level role due to budget constraints".

The position is exactly what I've been hoping to find and would match the supply & distribution or procurement manager role if the issue of budget wasn't there.

I replied to his mail giving him a few job titles and let him know the market rate I could find, and they have now invited me to come back to speak with them tomorrow morning to discuss if there are any options.

My questions to you:

- Can anybody think of ways to help the firm be able to pay enough to qualify?

I have been thinking of suggesting that I could work for 6 months on my working holiday visa either below market rate in a more junior role or even suggest to bring me in as an intern or so with very little/no pay.

My concern is that I don't want to jeopardize then looking as though I am not qualified to apply, as my background is not as rock solid as I would like it to be.

(I have a masters in European Business, Culture and Languages and was a Supply Chain Customer Service Manager for 3 years - though the job description fits perfectly. I'm planning on receiving my Supply Chain Professional Certification from APICS to strengthen it further before then)

- Does anybody have suggestions for best websites etc to give them all the info needed while also not overwhelming them?

Thanks,

Marie

Don't sell yourself short, I've heard of several firms trying to use the 457 to bring in cheap labour promising the willy wonky golden ticket. Australia is expensive but when you earn a fair dollar wage it's perfectly affordable. If you try to live off savings on a low income you'll eat cash fast in my opinion

Hello All,

Back in November a company in Adelaide invited me to go see them after I inquired about a position. They didn't have anything at the time, but have now came back to let me know that they have a job, but that they are "not yet in a position to look at a higher level role due to budget constraints".

The position is exactly what I've been hoping to find and would match the supply & distribution or procurement manager role if the issue of budget wasn't there.

I replied to his mail giving him a few job titles and let him know the market rate I could find, and they have now invited me to come back to speak with them tomorrow morning to discuss if there are any options.

My questions to you:

- Can anybody think of ways to help the firm be able to pay enough to qualify?

I have been thinking of suggesting that I could work for 6 months on my working holiday visa either below market rate in a more junior role or even suggest to bring me in as an intern or so with very little/no pay.

My concern is that I don't want to jeopardize then looking as though I am not qualified to apply, as my background is not as rock solid as I would like it to be.

(I have a masters in European Business, Culture and Languages and was a Supply Chain Customer Service Manager for 3 years - though the job description fits perfectly. I'm planning on receiving my Supply Chain Professional Certification from APICS to strengthen it further before then)

- Does anybody have suggestions for best websites etc to give them all the info needed while also not overwhelming them?

Thanks,

Marie

Are they having an issue with Market Rate or TSMIT as they are 2 separate things and often confused by employers?

TSMIT is currently $53,900, however the Market Rate for a Supply and Distribution or Procurement Manager would be considerably higher than that.

Are they having an issue with Market Rate or TSMIT as they are 2 separate things and often confused by employers?

TSMIT is currently $53,900, however the Market Rate for a Supply and Distribution or Procurement Manager would be considerably higher than that.

Hi,

Sorry for being unclear! Yes, I meant they would struggle with the market rate for a supply manager, not the TSMIT.

Don't sell yourself short, I've heard of several firms trying to use the 457 to bring in cheap labour promising the willy wonky golden ticket. Australia is expensive but when you earn a fair dollar wage it's perfectly affordable. If you try to live off savings on a low income you'll eat cash fast in my opinion

Hi,

normally I would totally agree with you, but I think my situation is a little bit different.

As highlighted by Raul I think you may have thought I meant TSMIT, but I meant they would struggle to pay the market rate for a supply manager which is much higher.

I'm in Adelaide so even if I got paid a little less I wouldn't struggle, and because it's my dream type of company and role I'd be more than willing to make that kind of sacrifice. As I'm the one who thought them out and they've also already invested a fair bit of time in meeting with me and the communication it's again not raising any flags for me. I'm just concerned with how to go about it legally and also so that it doesn't look suspicious.

Archived