Retiring to the UK

Stella Anne

I am British married to a Australian we have lived and worked in Australia for over forty years and receive full Australian pension. Will my husband be able to live permanently in the UK? We have funds to buy a home and have a fair bit of cash left over . We would like to spend our retirement there if possible.

Possibly not. Does your husband have any access to a visa? That's often the crunch point! If he had no ancestry which would give him either passport (preferably) or visa then you will have to go down the spouse visa route (you will have to show an income of £18.5k or savings of £62.5k). But the downside of the spouse visa is that there is no access to any benefits for you or him if you need them and IIRC it needs to be updated quite regularly with evidence of ongoing financial capacity..

My husband is an Australian born and bred but we were fortunate that his mother was born in UK but emigrated as a child and they have changed the regulations now so that many older folk can apply for citizenship through a UK born parent whereas for a long time they were unable to do so.

Good luck!

As Quoll says, he will need to apply for a spouse visa. If you have funds to buy a house and it's been sitting in the bank for at least 12 months, then you should meet the financial requirement no problem.

However, he will only get a visa for 2.5 years and then he'll have to apply again, and will have to meet the financial requirement again - so you need to consider whether you'll still have enough savings left over after buying your home. Pension funds don't count to meet the financial requirement, it has to be money that's available as a lump sum at any time. The next visa he gets will be limited too, so there will be a third application to make, again meeting the financial requirement, before he can get indefinite leave to remain. So you have to look at your budget and may have to settle for a smaller home so you can keep enough savings aside to meet the financial hurdles.

Possibly not. Does your husband have any access to a visa? That's often the crunch point! If he had no ancestry which would give him either passport (preferably) or visa then you will have to go down the spouse visa route (you will have to show an income of £18.5k or savings of £62.5k). But the downside of the spouse visa is that there is no access to any benefits for you or him if you need them and IIRC it needs to be updated quite regularly with evidence of ongoing financial capacity..

My husband is an Australian born and bred but we were fortunate that his mother was born in UK but emigrated as a child and they have changed the regulations now so that many older folk can apply for citizenship through a UK born parent whereas for a long time they were unable to do so.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information looks as though we may have some problems if he is not able to access health care. I Thought I would have no problems holding a British Passport . We should meet the financial requirements and be able to own our own home as we planned to live in North Wales which is not that expensive.

Thank you for your response its doesn't seem to be that easy , my husband has British great grandparents who migrated to New Zealand he holds New Zealand and Australian passports. We should be able to meet the financial requirements I think but the access to health care for him will be the problem. I wouldn't think I would have any problems as I have a British passport and was born there.

Thank you for your response its doesn't seem to be that easy , my husband has British great grandparents who migrated to New Zealand he holds New Zealand and Australian passports. We should be able to meet the financial requirements I think but the access to health care for him will be the problem. I wouldn't think I would have any problems as I have a British passport and was born there.

He will have access to health care, it's benefits he won't get.

Archived