WHC to Permanent residency is this possible?

joshnbecci

My husband doesnt have enough years behind him to qualify for a Skills Assessment for a 189 visa so we are looking at going over on a 457 Sponsorship. We want to come out in March so he can see employers and really sell himself. I have 10 years of bar experience (2 yr supervisor) so I was thinking. If I come on a WHV and my HUsband comes on a ETA long stay with the children. I can work (upto 6 month) and he can look for a job.. but if the place I was working offered me a permanent position would I be able to take it and switch visas and add my husband and the kids onto it?

Guest The Pom Queen

I have moved your thread to the migration section. I think your plan is rather risky to be honest especially with children as well.

Where are you intending to stay? Australia is expensive, more so than the UK in certain areas like Sydney, for starters you will need to find work yourself and supporting a family on temporary bar work income could be very hard unless you have savings to fall back on. As far as i'm aware bar work or bar supervisors are not on the Skilled migration list your work will not be able to offer a sponsorship or a permanent position, but yes if one of you were to get a sponsorship on 457 you would be able to add your family as dependents.

You will also need a qualification to serve alcohol behind a bar in NSW Australia, these are fairly straightforward and can usually be completed on a day course.

Skilled occupation list

It may be worth your consulting a migration agent as to what your options are.

My husband doesnt have enough years behind him to qualify for a Skills Assessment for a 189 visa so we are looking at going over on a 457 Sponsorship. We want to come out in March so he can see employers and really sell himself. I have 10 years of bar experience (2 yr supervisor) so I was thinking. If I come on a WHV and my HUsband comes on a ETA long stay with the children. I can work (upto 6 month) and he can look for a job.. but if the place I was working offered me a permanent position would I be able to take it and switch visas and add my husband and the kids onto it?

Your children cannot be in Australia if you are on a Working Holiday Visa, even if they and your husband are on tourist visas.

Bar work is not an occupation you could gain a visa on, not a 457 temp working visa or permanent. Even if you started on a WHV there could be no progression from that on to a longer term option. You could get a long term/permanent bar position if you were not the main applicant, e.g. your husband secured a 457 or permanent visa. In that case you could do any job you liked. But the occupation that secures a longer term visa must be on either the SOL or CSOL.

As others have said, you also cannot have your children with you while you are on a WHV.

Archived