Writing a defacto statement

Vickiw89

Hi guys,

My partner and I have just got the go ahead to start getting all of our documents together to submit for our 186 visa, and I am trying to write the defacto statement, but I can't help feeling a bit stupid writing it. I've written bits and then deleted it all as I'm just not sure of how much detail to go into. My partner and I actually met in Australia although we're both from the same town in the UK, and we have spent a large part of our relationship travelling Asutralia and New Zealand, we have been living together in the UK now for almost 12 months and have evidence of this and joint bank accounts etc. I'm just struggling to write about our time spent abroad, do they want to know where we've been together and what we've done, or would this not matter?! I don't want to put anything in there that is pointless but I want it to be as detailed as possible, can any share any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Vicki.

Hi,

Please refer to the partner booklet: https://www.border.gov.au/FormsAndDocuments/Documents/1127.pdf

You'll have more understanding as to what to write.

As for the statement:

"You and your partner must each provide a statement regarding the history of your relationship, including:

• how, when and where you first met;

• how your relationship developed;

• when you decided to marry or commence a de facto partner relationship;

• your domestic arrangements – how you support each other financially, physically and emotionallyand when this level of commitment began;

• any periods of separation – when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how youmaintained your relationship during the period of separation; and

• your future plans.

The statements written by you and your partner can be on ordinary writing paper or a statutorydeclaration form may be used. Each statement or statutory declaration must be signed and dated by theauthor."

Hope this helps.

Do you have to do it? My partner (now husband) and I applied for 186 and we didn't need one of those, we had lots of other guff, but not that?

Yes, for a partner visa you have to do it. It is a completely different visa than going as a partner on a skilled migrant visa.

Yes, for a partner visa you have to do it. It is a completely different visa than going as a partner on a skilled migrant visa.

But the OP isn't applying for a partner visa - it's says in the first post - just got the go ahead to apply for 186 visa - which is skilled migration. That's why I posted.

But the OP isn't applying for a partner visa - it's says in the first post - just got the go ahead to apply for 186 visa - which is skilled migration. That's why I posted.

Doh! Note to self - read the OP properly before replying. I believe you are correct and that the statement isn't part of the requirements for proving de facto for the 186.

I wrote up a 4 page statement on our 186 visa for defacto.

We outlined how and when we met, when we met eachothers family, events and family events we went to, places we moved into together, times when we relied on each, details of times when emotional support was given (family deaths), when we deemed ourselves to be defacto and why, our hobbies, holidays and usual weekends together, household duties, our future plans together, future holidays, our short term goals after visa approval, why believe moving to Australia will benefit us. We did mention our occasional disagreements like any other couple and outlined that we worked together to resolve our problems and we remain stronger for it.

Sure it's cheesy as hell, just write up the mushy stuff and forget about it :-)

Doh! Note to self - read the OP properly before replying. I believe you are correct and that the statement isn't part of the requirements for proving de facto for the 186.

Generally it would be a good idea to follow the requirements for a partner visa when supplying proof of defacto.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Our migration agents have requested this as he will be coming with me on the visa. Does it makes a difference if we are entering Australia on a 186 direct entry and that we aren't going from a 457 etc?

Archived