help with nursing registration...

Klare2511

Hi!

I am looking to get the ball rolling to apply for my nursing registration and visa to start a new life in Australia. Can anyone give me any hints or tips on the best way to go about this & what I need to do?? I have been a mental health nurse for the past 9 years.

Thank you so much!

Which visa are you going to apply for? If it's permanent visa then you need skills assessment through anmac first n they can forward your documents to ahpra for registration as they have similar requirements , u don't need registration for visa just to practice. Lots of info on ahpra website

Hi we are in the same position as you. Things change all the time. ANMAC no longer forward documents to Ahpra so you need to do this separately. It is also now recommended you apply for registration first as people are being successful with skills assessment but then not getting approved for registration. Also if you complete registration first which is what we are doing you can then do the modified skills assessment which is cheaper and then only need IELTS for points.

also there are different requirements for who can certify copies for the two applications.

You need Ahpra registration for the modified skills assessment now. Not sure what it used to be like. They do state on their website now that they no longer forward documents on. It's probably because Ahpra only accept certified copies by notary public/ justice of the peace where annac accept solicitor etc.

Hi we are in the same position as you. Things change all the time. ANMAC no longer forward documents to Ahpra so you need to do this separately. It is also now recommended you apply for registration first as people are being successful with skills assessment but then not getting approved for registration. Also if you complete registration first which is what we are doing you can then do the modified skills assessment which is cheaper and then only need IELTS for points.

also there are different requirements for who can certify copies for the two applications.

That is because ANMAC used to approve skills assessments for non degree qualifications, but AHPRA would only approve Degree trained nurses. ANMAC now I believe have similar guidelines and you could still apply for the skills assessment first and then AHPRA - that way you can have your AHPRA and visa applications running concurrently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Yes that's correct emailed Ahpra and they informed me they no longer send documents to ANMAC. I did full ANMAC and applied to AHPRA once my skills assessment was through. Ali is correct ANMAC has changed their guidelines I was informed this by my agent. The answer is if not degree level then basically u won't get registration. Don't stress though cause I had any sleepless nights over Ahpra but found them to be very efficient! My case officer was very good and e mailed me at each progress stage. From sending my application to receiving in principle letter took around 8 weeks. Hope this helps.

Archived