Cost of living in Perth

Masonella15

Hi There,

Im looking for some information regards cost of living in Perth, as I'm getting lots of different answers (via existing posts), some of which backdating to 2010 /12. If somebody could help us by letting us know some up to date costs it would be greatly appreciated.

We are a family of 4 need costs for the following per month -

Council Tax

Water

Phone / broadband / TV

Gas

Electric

House Insurance

Car insurance

Weekly grocery shop

nursery fees for a 3 year old

healthcare

Also if there is anything else i have forgotten please let me know.

Thanks

There are a lot of variables to be accurate.

For example, Perth isn't a single council,Mobutu made of of many different councils and even cities. A bit like London. There is a lot of variability between.

we find utility bills similar to the UK, though Internet and mobile phones, we find more expensive.

Groceries, you could look at Woolworths or Coles web sites and do a pretend shop to get some ideas.

Car insurance depends on a lot. For example, if you buy an old banger, it might not be worth getting, as registration here includes basic insurance.

Healthcare isna ts a very hard one, as it depends on earning and things as to if it is worth having full, partial or no private cover.

I would recommed you visit our sister site to get more detailed information Perthpoms.com

I replied on the other forum too .. but I'll C&P it here.

These are mine. No idea how much a family would cost.

Council Tax - $2000 a year (only if you are an owner, renters don't pay)

Water - $250 every 2 months ($200 of that is rates, which renters generally don't pay)

Phone / broadband / TV - $70 for mobile (2 sims, 10GB, unlimited mins/sms/international calls) / $60 (100GB) / $150 Foxtel (I don't like 99% of Free TV)

Gas - $150, 3 months

Electric - $200, 2 months

House Insurance - $150, monthly

Car insurance - $900, annual (HSV GTS), $600 (Mercedes C Class), $300 (Mazda 3), $600 (Toyota Hilux)

Weekly grocery shop - $200 (For 2, inc booze)

nursery fees for a 3 year old - No idea.

healthcare - $120 monthly Bupa (for single man), $60 weekly Gym.

Rego is about $600 per car annually

For example, Perth isn't a single council,Mobutu made of of many different councils and even cities. A bit like London. There is a lot of variability between.

we find utility bills similar to the UK, though Internet and mobile phones, we find more expensive.

Groceries, you could look at Woolworths or Coles web sites and do a pretend shop to get some ideas.

Car insurance depends on a lot. For example, if you buy an old banger, it might not be worth getting, as registration here includes basic insurance.

Healthcare isna ts a very hard one, as it depends on earning and things as to if it is worth having full, partial or no private cover.

I would recommed you visit our sister site to get more detailed information Perthpoms.com

Thank you! Thats a good idea with the grocery shop, will have a look at that.

I have posted on the Perth Poms site too, thank you all for your replies, big Help icon10.png

• 2 weeks later...

CTP insurance does not cover you personally, or damage to property you may cause, you will need top up.

CTP is a fund to help cover medical bills of anyone injured on the roads.

You will be fine with just CTP though, as long as you never have an accident......

https://www.icwa.wa.gov.au/ctp/about/ctp_faqs.shtml

Thank you! Thats a good idea with the grocery shop, will have a look at that.

I have posted on the Perth Poms site too, thank you all for your replies, big Help icon10.png

You shop different here compared to the UK, you soon wise up to the 'offers' and buy when they're on, which is every few weeks. A few examples off the top of my head would be Lynx deodrant $4.99 a can but its on offer every 4 weeks-ish for half that price. Same with Pine O clean disinfectant , that too goes on half price every month or so. Doing Coles or Woolies on line will give you a rough guide but doing the above will reduce your bill and every week there are different offers on.

Cal x

Archived