Construction white card

Pmac

Hi I'm traveling to AUS in October on a WHV, I'm looking to obtain a white card in the UK before I travel so I can get work quicker, anyone know the best place to obtain a white card?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This has been brought up many times in other threads and I repeat here again, White Cards obtained on line are not accepted in all States and territories and also by some companies regardless of state or territory.

I say this because if you are travelling around then you may come across this potential road block at an inopportune time. One day courses are held very regularly and at many places just about cover every day of the week so not to difficult in obtaining one very quickly, though slightly more costly. Here is a link to just one provider in NSW with courses twice a week http://www.bcm.edu.au/courses/sydney-nsw/white-card-training-sydney#upcoming_courses

Good luck and happy travels

Well I worked on Australia's largest resource project - Gorgon, where I monitored personnels white/blue cards and there was no issue if it was an online course or what state it was obtained on, employees came from all states. Gorgon is a Chevron project, they set industry standards. The White card has no expiry date on. Check guidelines on Worksafe WA or the relevant state governing body for further info. You will be fine with the one I mentioned above.

Well I worked in Adelaide on several smaller construction jobs and online cards were not accepted, and the company safety manager told me that is the norm in SA. Though I generally work in Qld I have also had, at the site inductions I do, several guys say they had their on line cards rejected by some companies at certain sites. The reasoning behind such refusal is fraud as no one really knows who is answering the online questions, under the regulations a PCUB can make someone retake the course if they assess that the person does not show the required competency.

I admit that this may be in the minority however he risk will be on the user, but to eliminate the chance of this then for a few dollars more sitting a day course will be fine.

I'm in WA and did my White Card on-line last year, but part of the process was a follow up phone call where I was asked several questions regarding safety to check that I had actually answered the on-line questions. Not sure if this is done by all on-line courses now.

For the OP, will an on-line course company send a white card to the UK or do you have an Oz address to send it to.

I'm in WA and did my White Card on-line last year, but part of the process was a follow up phone call where I was asked several questions regarding safety to check that I had actually answered the on-line questions. Not sure if this is done by all on-line courses now.

For the OP, will an on-line course company send a white card to the UK or do you have an Oz address to send it to.

Just goes to show how each company/state varies in how things are conducted! would they have phoned you up if you were in the UK I wonder?

All I am trying to do is warn potential workers of a possible pitfall it could be the make or break in getting a good job! and maybe save them from paying things twice

Just goes to show how each company/state varies in how things are conducted! would they have phoned you up if you were in the UK I wonder?

All I am trying to do is warn potential workers of a possible pitfall it could be the make or break in getting a good job! and maybe save them from paying things twice

I did the online WA Whitecard a few months back and I had to phone them (rather than the other way round) with the answer to a question. There is nothing on the card that says it is an online card or in fact who issued it.

I did the online WA Whitecard a few months back and I had to phone them (rather than the other way round) with the answer to a question. There is nothing on the card that says it is an online card or in fact who issued it.

If the card does not reference the RTO number (or Name) then you should also have a certificate of attendance/attainment or something similar which obviously will have the RTO details, you may be asked to provide this.

Well I worked on Australia's largest resource project - Gorgon, where I monitored personnels white/blue cards and there was no issue if it was an online course or what state it was obtained on, employees came from all states. Gorgon is a Chevron project, they set industry standards. The White card has no expiry date on. Check guidelines on Worksafe WA or the relevant state governing body for further info. You will be fine with the one I mentioned above.

Agree with what you are saying , I did mine on line and have found no problem with it being accepted , I have worked on and for some of the major jobs and companies in Sydney .Some of the things I have seen that go on make the white card a bit of a lame duck , I understand that WHS is of the utmost importance but also feel it's when it suites , I am currently working on some fire upgrades to social housing for a company from Sydney in Newcastle our project manager is a young guy and all his concerns are about making money, we have no OHS site file , no first aid kit no site induction basically there is no OHS.

I have always carried my own first aid kit and I am doing my best to look after the young lads that are working with me , I feel I should report the company but fear backlash

Agree with what you are saying , I did mine on line and have found no problem with it being accepted , I have worked on and for some of the major jobs and companies in Sydney .Some of the things I have seen that go on make the white card a bit of a lame duck , I understand that WHS is of the utmost importance but also feel it's when it suites , I am currently working on some fire upgrades to social housing for a company from Sydney in Newcastle our project manager is a young guy and all his concerns are about making money, we have no OHS site file , no first aid kit no site induction basically there is no OHS.

I have always carried my own first aid kit and I am doing my best to look after the young lads that are working with me , I feel I should report the company but fear backlash

the OP will most likely be traveling around whilst on their WHV and therefor doubtful only working in the one State like yourself, My experience is in more than one State and I am just passing on my experience. On my present project in Qld I have site inducted over 150 workers, and over my time in Qld the number would be in the thousands and I have not rejected a single one on the basis of how they obtained their induction card. My time in Adelaide was a different story, and even a couple of the guys whom came down from Qld with me had to go do the classroom course, but other than them two all other cards presented by the local workers were not on line cards.

I am trying to help the OP here, but maybe staying away from SA could solve any problems. But it is no help saying it will be OK just because one or two of you have had no problems with it.

the OP will most likely be traveling around whilst on their WHV and therefor doubtful only working in the one State like yourself, My experience is in more than one State and I am just passing on my experience. On my present project in Qld I have site inducted over 150 workers, and over my time in Qld the number would be in the thousands and I have not rejected a single one on the basis of how they obtained their induction card. My time in Adelaide was a different story, and even a couple of the guys whom came down from Qld with me had to go do the classroom course, but other than them two all other cards presented by the local workers were not on line cards.

I am trying to help the OP here, but maybe staying away from SA could solve any problems. But it is no help saying it will be OK just because one or two of you have had no problems with it.

You have passed on some good advice ,like you only passing on information that I have expirenced , not criticising you in any way.

Like you I have inducted many people when I have been a site manager , I have even experienced guys refusing to give me their cards and fill in the site induction forms.( Eastern European) don't know why.

after they sat in their Utes for a hour or so they realised I would not allow them to work on site they decided to cooperate

you certainly meet all sorts in the world of construction.

If an RTO has been granted Australian approval to deliver the White card, legally it is accepted across Australia.

You can check an RTO's scope of delivery here - https://training.gov.au/Search/SearchOrganisation

The White card has no expiry date.

Now what you have to remember is depending on the contractor or client you plan to work for, they may have their own rules to work on their site. I.E attending their approved White Card RTO training, or they may impose that there is a site requirement that the White card is valid for only two years and you need to refresh the training to work on their site.

As a starting point I would get a White Card with Blue Dog, check them out on the above Government RTO link, they are one of the cheapest in OZ offering what is a very basic H&S induction course.

Another bit of information is that since 2015, you will probably need a USI (Unique Student Identifier). I needed to get one last year before I could enrol for the on-line white card course I did. It was easy enough to register for one, but not sure if they will issue one if still in the UK.

Here is a link to their website so it probably gives details somewhere. https://www.usi.gov.au/

Archived