long term parent stay

gra001

Guys, I recall a visa being launched a few years ago (3 or 4 perhaps) for parents of citizens and permanent residents. It was granted (I think) for 4 or 5 years and allowed multiple stays of up to 12 months during that period. I can't find it the website, help much appreciated. Thanks!

Guys, I recall a visa being launched a few years ago (3 or 4 perhaps) for parents of citizens and permanent residents. It was granted (I think) for 4 or 5 years and allowed multiple stays of up to 12 months during that period. I can't find it the website, help much appreciated. Thanks!

They 'may' get a 5 year multiple entry tourist visa if they're currently in the Parent Visa (Subclass 103) queue. Here's an excerpt from the Australian High Commission's website in India:

http://india.embassy.gov.au/ndli/vvsc60020313.html

[h=5]Longer Visitor visas for parents of Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents[/h]Parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents are able to apply for Visitor visas to visit Australia for longer.

The department will grant on a case-by-case basis:

• Visitor visas of up to five years validity which provide a stay of up to 12 months on each entry to those parents who are outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue.

• Visitor visas of up to three years validity with 12 months stay on each entry will be considered for parents who are outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.

Please note that a condition will be placed on these visas that restricts the time you spend in Australia to 12 months in every 18 months.

That's the one! I'm not in the parent visa queue but assume I can go the 3 year route, I fail the balance of family test though, 3 kids and only 1 citizen in Oz. Failing that I guess it's the subclass 600 visitor option for each visit between 6 and 12 months? Confirmation I have this right would be appreciated or better option if available....thanks.

That's the one! I'm not in the parent visa queue but assume I can go the 3 year route, I fail the balance of family test though, 3 kids and only 1 citizen in Oz. Failing that I guess it's the subclass 600 visitor option for each visit between 6 and 12 months? Confirmation I have this right would be appreciated or better option if available....thanks.

Yep, the 600 visitor visa is your best bet given your circumstances as that would save you the hassle of applying for a tourist visa for at least 3 years if granted

Note that the visitor visa only allows a stay of up to 12 months in every 18 months

Yes, it's actually just the same length of stay that's allowed on the 'long stay' parent visa.

The only advantage to the 'long stay' version is that the period of validity of the visa is longer (and definitely not the length of stay allowed) - it just means you don't need to keep applying for a new visa each time you want to come for your 12 month (in every 18 months) visit. You can keep using your previous one.

Archived