Work situation and realistic earnings in and around Queensland

Jamie Kerr

Hi guys. We are at the very beginning AGAIN. I say again as we looked into the process sometime ago but the timing wasn't right.

my names JAMIE and I'm 36 and my wife Michele along with our boys 8 and 4 are looking for our next adventure. We've travelled before and I'm spent 12 months in Oz along time ago. We had previously looked into Adelaide but are now swayed to Queensland for a number of reasons. My brother and his family live in Melbourne but we know that it's not the place for us.

i have a number of questions but was just after some realistic feedback of work life for TRADES in Queensland. Im a CARPENTER. With around 15 years exp. always self employed and always been in work.

I presume it's similar there with self employment. If there's work I will be there. Not fussy and happy to please.

MAIN QUESTION is how much ROUGHLY can carpenters earn and is there much work about. Obviously I know there's probably more work in Brisbane and surroundings but what about smaller towns like Rockhampton and Sunshine Coast, Townsville only as examples.

I've been to Fraser ,whitsundays and all east coast so I know there's plenty to do as a youngish family.

im also realistic that it's hard work and will also be similar to here in work life. But just looking for a better and Fresher lifestyle.

im not going to blab on anymore as it's my 1st post so don't want to bore you all.

kindest Regards a chilly Pom.

p.s we've been in contact with Gomatilda and will be going down the route of a PR 189 visa.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi chilly Pom, lol.

Welcome to the forum and a great decision to move Down Under. I agree that Queensland is going to be the best option for you, even though we lived in Melbourne for 8 years. Adelaide probably doesn't have the work opportunities you would be looking for, Melbourne would but as you mentioned it really isn't a place for you, Sydney would be too expensive so it leaves wonderful Queensland.

You have some beautiful places in Queensland to choose from, unfortunately I don't know anything about the work situation for carpenters. Although saying that if you remind me I can find out for Townsville as we have just had a carpenter do work on our home and have become good friends with him. I know most carpenters here seem to be self employed and from what my carpenter said he is either really busy or no work at all. He seems to be doing well for himself though, however, he doesn't have a family to support and is a local born and bred so has lots of contacts.

Sunshine coast may be an option, it's a lovely place to live and not far if you do need to get in to Brisbane.

You have made a good choice with your agent Alan has an excellent reputation and you will find him hanging around the migration section of the forum if ever you have questions.

Good luck with everything, and ask any questions you want that's what we are here for.

Hi Jamie we are in same boat as you we are currently in talks with Go Matilda and my husband is a carpenter been told there is more work in Brisbane so if we were to live along coast will be a commute to Brisbane but my husband don't mind as used drives to LDN! My husband always has been self employed too, where abouts in England are you from? We have a boy Who is 7 and a little girl who is 3years cant wait were so excited but understand will be hard work, does your partner work? If you download the app SEEK there are a lot of jobs on there for carpenters so you get an idea for wages..

Hi Jamie we are in same boat as you we are currently in talks with Go Matilda and my husband is a carpenter been told there is more work in Brisbane so if we were to live along coast will be a commute to Brisbane but my husband don't mind as used drives to LDN! My husband always has been self employed too, where abouts in England are you from? We have a boy Who is 7 and a little girl who is 3years cant wait were so excited but understand will be hard work, does your partner work? If you download the app SEEK there are a lot of jobs on there for carpenters so you get an idea for wages..

hi Laura. We are living in Northampton. Where our family and friends are but ................... 1 Life hey

We have travelled together through Indian and Asia and a few other places before returning home to start a famalam. We even had two year visas for New Zealand in 2006 where we rented a pad in Wellington. We were there one day and gone the next and only a few months as we'd been travelling for a long period before we stopped. And went home.

Our boys have a fantastic social network as we do but nothing changes and we want to live and not just Excist. We have just been to Thailand for Xmas and new Year to spend it with my brother and his family. We should have put it towards the big move but it's Been many many years since we spent Xmas together. Also seeing our niece for very 1st time.

have you done any 1st steps. I hear Gomatilda are very good and a friend of mine who went to Oz five years ago used them. Highly recommended. He went out as a carpenter and is now a policeman. Summation I love to hear. As it goes to show it still has chances to try new things.

I'm guessing with your user name were maybe 9 years older than you guys but fortunately we still live young. Where are you guys.

jamie :wink:

Just beware, Brisbane is currently booming with circa 110 tower cranes up according to a large builder we use, all I know there is a lot. However these are established sites and I'm guessing will be finished in a year or so. Most trades have been filled by local hire. Most of the mines took in local trades promising high pay for hard work, now mining is on its knees the trades have moved back into building meaning there is a surplus of people also resulting in wages dropping. If working on domestic, ensure you are around North Lakes and Griffin or mid point between Gold Coast and Brisbane as these areas are building hotspots. Also ensure you look into Queensland Building Comission Licencing as you will need this to trade as a licenced builder otherwise you end up as a junior.

Do not under estimate the commutes either in from the North or South. These are horrendous and are considered by employers when selecting staff, If your local you have a better chance of securing work due to lower risk of being held up in traffic etc.

The message is that it is not easy and problems still exist......just different.

Just beware, Brisbane is currently booming with circa 110 tower cranes up according to a large builder we use, all I know there is a lot. However these are established sites and I'm guessing will be finished in a year or so. Most trades have been filled by local hire. Most of the mines took in local trades promising high pay for hard work, now mining is on its knees the trades have moved back into building meaning there is a surplus of people also resulting in wages dropping. If working on domestic, ensure you are around North Lakes and Griffin or mid point between Gold Coast and Brisbane as these areas are building hotspots. Also ensure you look into Queensland Building Comission Licencing as you will need this to trade as a licenced builder otherwise you end up as a junior.

Do not under estimate the commutes either in from the North or South. These are horrendous and are considered by employers when selecting staff, If your local you have a better chance of securing work due to lower risk of being held up in traffic etc.

The message is that it is not easy and problems still exist......just different.

what areas would deem as local?

hi Laura. We are living in Northampton. Where our family and friends are but ................... 1 Life hey

We have travelled together through Indian and Asia and a few other places before returning home to start a famalam. We even had two year visas for New Zealand in 2006 where we rented a pad in Wellington. We were there one day and gone the next and only a few months as we'd been travelling for a long period before we stopped. And went home.

Our boys have a fantastic social network as we do but nothing changes and we want to live and not just Excist. We have just been to Thailand for Xmas and new Year to spend it with my brother and his family. We should have put it towards the big move but it's Been many many years since we spent Xmas together. Also seeing our niece for very 1st time.

have you done any 1st steps. I hear Gomatilda are very good and a friend of mine who went to Oz five years ago used them. Highly recommended. He went out as a carpenter and is now a policeman. Summation I love to hear. As it goes to show it still has chances to try new things.

I'm guessing with your user name were maybe 9 years older than you guys but fortunately we still live young. Where are you guys.

jamie :wink:

Hey, we are south we live right by Heathrow Airport, Staines upon Thames! you may remember Ali G the movie ha-ha..! I refer to that as we could go anywhere in the world and say Staines oh yes Ali G was a few years back mind now..

Wow so you have travelled around then defiantly agree you have one life so why exist that's what we do here plod plod plod along, we are very outdoor family too and feel restricted here its too cold and expensive I love nothing more then just be able to walk to the beach and have new activities and get the children out as much as I can..

Yes I am 27 soon be 28 and my husband is 30 we just feel its the right time for us to go, we never been before we have friends in Perth. Again they have 2young kids and they would never look back their children are thriving, there all doing really well. I know the journey will be tough but rewarding and worth it, we can't wait.

Ok yes go Matilda I can't fault them in constant contact have you spoken to them yet? My Husband is in process of getting his skills assessment booked were he will show his Skills and become TRA (Trade Recognition Australia) The paperwork side of things are you self employed I needed 3 years worth of bank statements (certified by the bank) if you go in they will stamp for you, I got him 3 work references, 20 pictures of him working and his work, T CV, letter from HMRC to show the years he has paid tax, copy of passport, 2 x passport photos certified by a solicitor, that's all for now but if you start getting all prepared will speed up the process for you! Will you be going for 189 visa? If so have look at the ILETS English test as you need points for your Visa..

Yes we have heard the commute to Brisbane wasn't good and was looking around Areas North Lakes and Mango Hill distance get to Brisbane etc does your partner work? I work in accounts and my wage would double even on part time which i am really pleased about!

I cant wait we looking at getting there for early 2017!

Hey, we are south we live right by Heathrow Airport, Staines upon Thames! you may remember Ali G the movie ha-ha..! I refer to that as we could go anywhere in the world and say Staines oh yes Ali G was a few years back mind now..

Wow so you have travelled around then defiantly agree you have one life so why exist that's what we do here plod plod plod along, we are very outdoor family too and feel restricted here its too cold and expensive I love nothing more then just be able to walk to the beach and have new activities and get the children out as much as I can..

Yes I am 27 soon be 28 and my husband is 30 we just feel its the right time for us to go, we never been before we have friends in Perth. Again they have 2young kids and they would never look back their children are thriving, there all doing really well. I know the journey will be tough but rewarding and worth it, we can't wait.

Ok yes go Matilda I can't fault them in constant contact have you spoken to them yet? My Husband is in process of getting his skills assessment booked were he will show his Skills and become TRA (Trade Recognition Australia) The paperwork side of things are you self employed I needed 3 years worth of bank statements (certified by the bank) if you go in they will stamp for you, I got him 3 work references, 20 pictures of him working and his work, T CV, letter from HMRC to show the years he has paid tax, copy of passport, 2 x passport photos certified by a solicitor, that's all for now but if you start getting all prepared will speed up the process for you! Will you be going for 189 visa? If so have look at the ILETS English test as you need points for your Visa..

Yes we have heard the commute to Brisbane wasn't good and was looking around Areas North Lakes and Mango Hill distance get to Brisbane etc does your partner work? I work in accounts and my wage would double even on part time which i am really pleased about!

Hi Laura

You seem at similar stage to us hubby self employed and has to do ielts to get more points due to age he's booked in next week for it also just been in touch with down under centre for skills assessment. Hoping to be there early 2017 too

what areas would deem as local?

It depends, North Lakes to Brisbane is about 1 hour and Gold Coast is about 1 1/2 hours during peak. Heading in from the West can also be hard work, people like to drive to work and the roads do not cope well.

Investigate QBCC Licencing, this WILL be required by most employers. You will not be able to operate as self employed without a builders licence.

Best of luck, expect a few ups and downs but it is worth it in the end.

S

Hi mate and hello KTd. It's nice when you have people in the same boat hey. Srg73 thanks for the info and sometimes in nice for people's honesty about work situations up there. I will do what it takes and if life wasn't up and down it would be pretty Dull.

Honestly when we last looked into about 12 months ago there was a lot of doom talking of the ending of the Boom. I was looking all around Perth at posts and Adelaide etc and people seem to be on a tightrope.

now getting a bit into it again 12months passed pretty sharpish and we have exactly the same feelings but could have along closer to the finishing line.

I think last time I got into a BBBBBBBADDD habit of reading negative posts and lots of posts about returning home. Aswell as the posts that interested me.

I don't suppose too many success stories get on here to tell people about it.

anyway guys stay in touch and perhaps we can all help each other out and push in the right direction.

Thanks for the list of info Laura I will start investigating and get action plan moving on. We made 1st payment to Gomatilda today so we are officially moving forward. And yes going for a 189PR. Can't remember if I said that.

cheers, chat soon J

Further to srg's good advice, you have the western suburbs which are booming too (Springfield, Bellbird park, Ripley) Also as a tradie I do not think you will be too badly affected by the commute traffic due to the early starts and flexible finish times. I live on the bayside but commute to Bellbird park and I generally have a 45min trip in the morning and max 1hr in the afternoon. Also if you are on the house building side of things then it could mean ending up in a different suburb on a daily basis, as generally house building is not like the UK one housing estate here could have 10 or more different house builders on the site.

good luck with every thing guys.

As regards where to live, then if thinking of Brisbane area where most of the work is then I think in your trade maybe locating yourself central and by this I do not mean City centre more like central access to the main arterial routes, for example Loganholme would get you on the Pacific, Gateway and Logan motorways pretty quickly which would get you north south and west, also near to bus services into the city. Not saying Loganholme is the place to be, just an example, you may wish to be near a train line or by the coast. From where I live I have an approx. 20min drive to get to any of the motorways but I am happy with this because of the area I live.

Hi Laura

You seem at similar stage to us hubby self employed and has to do ielts to get more points due to age he's booked in next week for it also just been in touch with down under centre for skills assessment. Hoping to be there early 2017 too

Hi KTD,

I can't wait to get there do you have children? or is it just you and your husband? where abouts in the UK are you from?.. Were looking at all suburbs close to Brisbane have you been looking at properties around?

Laura xx

Archived