Young couple arriving in Sydney April

mfarrell87

Hi guys,

im looking for some advice, we are young couple arriving in Sydney in April from Dublin. We have no idea where to look for somewhere to rent. Budget would be 500/550$ per week, doesn't have to be very close to the CBD but train line would be benefit.

Any my advice would be help

thanks

You can afford a decent flat in many central and nice areas for that sort of money

Any other particular criteria? What sort of "feel" do you think you might be looking for? Where are you going to be working, or likely to be working?

And have you been to Sydney before at all?

EDIT: This website has some good suburb descriptions on and is quite fun - it's a decent starting place:

http://www.cityhobo.com/shoe-index/shoe-index

hea northshorepom, we both lived in Perth for a year and loved the laid back feel, been close to cafes and restaurants would be important too. A nightlife wouldn't been really important to us, boring I know!!

I've visited Sydney before and have stayed in the Surry Hills area which I really liked but I'm afraid that we wont be able to afford anything there. I will take a look at the that website and get a feel for some of the suburbs! I know its hard to decide or get a feel until you actually get there and explore a little.

hea northshorepom, we both lived in Perth for a year and loved the laid back feel, been close to cafes and restaurants would be important too. A nightlife wouldn't been really important to us, boring I know!!

I've visited Sydney before and have stayed in the Surry Hills area which I really liked but I'm afraid that we wont be able to afford anything there. I will take a look at the that website and get a feel for some of the suburbs! I know its hard to decide or get a feel until you actually get there and explore a little.

You could afford a 1 bedroom flat in some nice trendy areas, but for a couple renting long-term, you'd be more comfortable in a two-bedder. You'll get more for your money on the inner West suburbs than in the Eastern suburbs - look at Leichhardt, Lilyfield, Annandale, Chiswick. Stanmore, Enmore and Newtown are all even cheaper but watch out for aircraft noise. Summer Hill is a gorgeous suburb with a village feel, great pub and lots of restaurants. If you really want a lot for your money, then look at up-and-coming hipster areas like Dulwich Hill, Lewisham, Marrickville.

Archived