Thinking of buying in Brighton Queensland

Kanga

Am moving back to the Brisbane area this year. I would like to live near the beach, but can't afford the popular Sandgate area.

I hear that Brighton is a lovely quiet and affordable place to live and it takes about 30minutes to get into the City from there.

Does anyone know anything about this area please?

I live 10 minutes away from Brighton and it adjoins Sandgate and is almost identical in that it's hard to recognise a boundary. Be aware that despite both their up market hype, there are some pretty rough older parts away from the promenade. The beach at both is mainly mud tinted sand, not the golden sands illustrated elsewhere in Qld and is popular with sail boarders due to the onshore brreezes in the arvo. That said, quite OK to stroll along but not nice enough to dig your toes into IYKWIM. You would have to catch a train at Sandgate to be in the city within 30 minutes and by car it is more like 45 minutes on a good day.

Have you looked at Bracken Ridge? ten minutes from the beach and with much better transport in that trains to the city are every half hour and buses every 15 minutes and closer to the big shopping malls

I'd second Bracken Ridge - you can get a lot for your dollar there - I know it's lovely to be near the sea but you have to do yourself a favour if you're commuting. I would have thought that the drive in would be pretty nasty. Base yourself near a train or fast bus to give yourself options!

I would only bother if you are living right on the waters edge otherwise it is pretty average and if you want a swim/beach you will probably find yourself going to the sunny coast anyway.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied and especially to The Pom Queen who moved my enquiry to the right place!

I did live in Brisbane for a short while before I came to the UK for family reasons, but nearer to the City. I don't have the need to commute daily now, only on the days I will be volunteering at the hospital, but note all the comments about the Brighton/Sandgate area. I did look at the Bracken Ridge area, but a friend of mine said "no way". I have no idea what she is basing her reasoning on, but I would be interested in any views.

Archived