Working Holiday Visa - 3 Month Regional Work Query

Kieron Taylor

Hi Guys!

My visa expires on june 4th

If i get a job in the mines or in a fishing trawler which is 2 weeks on 1 week off that starts on the 15th jan would I have my regional work finished in 15th of april or would I have to work an extra month?

Also what about if I get a job that is only 4 days a week in regional victoria from 15th jan till 15th of april - would this count towards 88 days regional work? in 3 months even though I only worked 4 out of 7 days?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kieron welcome to the forum. I have moved your post in to the working holiday section so hopefully you will get an answer soon.

I assume they count 88 days individually, so you need to pull out a calendar and see where you can fit in 88 days before June 4th.

If you work 4 days a week, that would take you 22 weeks (approx. 5 months) to complete. Similarly with 2 weeks on/1 week off - if that's 14 days in a 3-week cycle, that would take about 19 weeks to complete (approx. 4.35 months) to complete.

Edited by MaggieMay24

I assume they count 88 days individually, so you need to pull out a calendar and see where you can fit in 88 days before June 4th.

If you work 4 days a week, that would take you 22 weeks (approx. 5 months) to complete. Similarly with 2 weeks on/1 week off - if that's 14 days in a 3-week cycle, that would take about 19 weeks to complete (approx. 4.35 months) to complete.

I don't want to believe this haha.. I've seen so many stories of backpackers being mistreated and paid 6$ an hour simply because they can

I believe it is possible to just do three months (i.e. 1 January to 1 April) for you regional work, as long as it is with the same employer. The only condition is that you are working/employed/paid for full time (38 hours per week).

Will try and find a source for this.