Couple backpacking august for 12 months!!!

dannysavagelfc

Hi guys my and my fiancee will be heading out to aus in august for 12 months and havent got a clue where to start haha, planning on doing sydney - cairnes or vice versa.

is it easy to find work?

best way to travel around?

realistic budget for 12 months?

must see places?

worth buying a cheap car?

any help would be appreciated thanks, danny

Was about to write exactly the same thread until stumbling across this.

Me and my girlfriend hoping to head to aus in Jan 2017. We went last year for a month we did the likes of Sydney, Byron bay, rainbow beach, Fraser Island, Gold Coast, Brisbane etc in a campervan hired from juicy. I did a sky dive over rainbow beach that was brilliant you can see Fraser Island aswell whilst diving I would strongly recommend that mate.

we are planning on taking the grasshopper bus for a bit of our travelling try looking at that I think STA travel do deals for it.

i have a question for everyone else also do you find many couples travelling Australia living in backpacker hostels I personally don't mind but I have a prejudice vue they're mainly full of single people and may struggle to fit in etc?

Any couples who have done the same things advice would be great.

Hi guys my and my fiancee will be heading out to aus in august for 12 months and havent got a clue where to start haha, planning on doing sydney - cairnes or vice versa.

I'll leave most of your questions to others with backpacking experience. But in August I'd definitely start in Cairns - it will be the dry season in that part of the world and more pleasant for travelling ( it can get rainy and humid from November onwards), whereas down south in Sydney it will still be winter. Then you can work your way down the coast towards the summer down south.

Guest The Pom Queen

I agree with Skani, August is the perfect time to be in Cairns or even Darwin and then work your way down the East Coast, maybe being in Sydney for Christmas (Bondi beach for Christmas Day and the fireworks on the harbour). Then carry on down and you will be in Melbourne for summer/Autumn.

In regards to buying a car, personally I would, although there is not much in the cheap line, allow a few thousand, it may sound a lot but it will save you in the long run and if you can throw a mattress in the back it can save on accommodation. What I would recommend is taking out breakdown insurance, they do RACQ Ultimate for around $250 which if you break down they will provide you with a hire car or accommodation etc. It may sound expensive but we have broke down a few times in the outback now and it's saved us thousands.

In regards to budget maybe @Quokka2005 can help

thanks for the replys people, im deffo interested in doing a skydive luckyj, thats on my bucket list with dive the barrier reef both are 100% getting ticked off. queen i was thinking a lot about the car after a friend reccomended it, 6 months bus ticket would be $1000 on it own for us both so is deffo worth thinking about. Ive got a likely budget of £10.000 or $20.000 for the 2 of us, hoping that will be enough.

quokka whats it like on the job line? easy, hard, what type of jobs are going? ive got my padi divemaster certificate, would give anything to get a job working on the barrier reef.

Guest The Pom Queen
thanks for the replys people, im deffo interested in doing a skydive luckyj, thats on my bucket list with dive the barrier reef both are 100% getting ticked off. queen i was thinking a lot about the car after a friend reccomended it, 6 months bus ticket would be $1000 on it own for us both so is deffo worth thinking about. Ive got a likely budget of £10.000 or $20.000 for the 2 of us, hoping that will be enough.

quokka whats it like on the job line? easy, hard, what type of jobs are going? ive got my padi divemaster certificate, would give anything to get a job working on the barrier reef.

I can help re the Padi, yes you will get a job in Cairns, they are always looking for Padi qualified help from backpackers.

Guest The Pom Queen
omg u have just made my day there, im not even leaving cairns if i can get a job there haha

Cairns is the most beautiful place I've ever lived.

£10000 is loads! You don't need to worry with that amount. Well when I first got here I could probably have got a job in Sydney but I didn't want to stay there. Went to Perth and struggled a bit but the kids were off school so that didn't help. I did get offered one or 2 interviews but I ended up going to work in a country pub down south because I wanted to go to east coast fairly quickly rather than saving for like 6 months. It just depends what you're looking for really. There's different agencies etc and I've found most people over here are happy to help with advice if they can

£10000 is loads! You don't need to worry with that amount. Well when I first got here I could probably have got a job in Sydney but I didn't want to stay there. Went to Perth and struggled a bit but the kids were off school so that didn't help. I did get offered one or 2 interviews but I ended up going to work in a country pub down south because I wanted to go to east coast fairly quickly rather than saving for like 6 months. It just depends what you're looking for really. There's different agencies etc and I've found most people over here are happy to help with advice if they can

Good stuff, that will put my mind at rest anyway haha, ive heard its pretty easy to get work from a friend who was out there last year, counting down the days now like an excited child.

Guest The Pom Queen
Good stuff, that will put my mind at rest anyway haha, ive heard its pretty easy to get work from a friend who was out there last year, counting down the days now like an excited child.

If you need any advice on places to see etc let us know.

Archived