House swaps

Fairview70

Hi Fairview 70

We did two house swaps in Australia in 2012, using the site "homelink" (not to be confused with a similarly names site swapping council houses in the UK. If you google homelink it should come up, and you can look at the properties without paying. You only have to pay when you want the contact details. You join for a year and I think its now about 120 pounds for the year.

We had a very good experience, haven't done it since because our circumstances changed, but would certainly use them again.

We did a non-simultaneous swap, because I couldn't face the thought of being in Australia if anything went wrong with our house in the UK. It was a bit more complicated but it worked out fine. We wanted a month, but couldn't find anyone in the right area, so took two two week swaps running consecutively.

Homelink encourage you to approach other site users, not just wait for offers and we found both our swaps by offering our house (by email through the site)

I wrote a short blog about the experience at the time on this site, it may be still there if you want to read it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of any house swap sites, I can only find the tempory holiday site types, wanting to move from stoke-on-Trent to Queensland. Huge long shot I know.

Hi there, we're also looking into doing a house swap when we move from Yorkshire later in the year to..........(not sure yet!!). Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. We've had our house on the market once already last year with hardly any interest so looking up other avenues at the moment! We'd hope to do 6 months I think and heading for either Melbourne or North of Sydney.

When you say you can only find temporary ones, does that mean you want to swap your home permanently? How would that work?

Hi, oops I meant short term ones not temporary. So I can see lots of people looking for holiday swaps rather than longer term swops. I suppose even a few months would be beneficial if we could make it work. I have a friend who did it (quite a few years ago, UK to Sydney) and said it was surprisingly straight forward. She was a single person and we are a family of four so needs a bit more planning.

hi serendipity

I did see someone on the Homelink site a couple of years ago wanting to swap a house in Sydney suburbs for a house in UK, for six months ... but it was the only longer term swap I noticed and I think it was quite unusual. We were trying for one month and had to do two two week swaps in the end. Have you thought about renting out your house for six months and renting for six months in Australia?