Applying for import permit - guidance

wozzie2202

I'm just in the process, having now got the RNAT declaration, of applying for the import permit. On the first page it asks for details of the importer...I'm assuming this is us and not the Pet export company that we are using??? Anyone else applied for the import permit themselves that can shed some light on this. What did you do also in terms of providing an australian address. We have an initial 1 month rental on arrival so guess we will have to provide this as an address although won't have a phone number until we get an oz sim card. What have others done in this situation.

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I hope that I am not providing misleading information but you can put yourself as an exporter, if you are applying for the permit.

In my situation, I had to involve the agent after the permits had been issued. For one of my cats all the documents and flights were arranged by me and for the other cat I had to involve an agent due to last minute airline rules change for certain breeds. For both cats, I put myself as importer and exporter.

In any case, if it is you submitting the application it makes sense that you put your names. I thought that when you involve an agent they take care of all that?

Edited by DianaK

Guest The Pom Queen

Please check that all the paperwork is correct, I've known numerous cases of pets being returned or held because the paperwork hasn't been correct. I think when you are going through something so important like the transport of a furry family member it's worth paying the extra to know they are well cared for.

I agree with Pom Queen. One of my cats had wrong RNATT details and they had to issue new permit, the other cat's breed was wrong and if we have not noticed it, the airline would have refused boarding the cat as they do not transport this breed. Just check every single line. I am glad I did prior to departure.

Edited by DianaK