Townsville, Hervey Bay and Mackay

sharon h

Does anybody know anything about these areas, Queensland Health have phoned me today and have jobs in these areas. On the web they look great, does anybody know anything good or bad and which suburbs in these areas are nice with good state schools.

Thanks

Sharon:wideeyed:

Guest fatpom
Does anybody know anything about these areas, Queensland Health have phoned me today and have jobs in these areas. On the web they look great, does anybody know anything good or bad and which suburbs in these areas are nice with good state schools.

Thanks

Sharon:wideeyed:

I only know these places as a casual visitor.

Hervey Bay... been several times (weekends) would love to live there (but for me work would be a problem).

Mackay... been there once only... looks like an idylic place to live. Its been on TV as a tough place to find accommodation to buy or rent due to the mining boom... but that might not be quite right of course.

Townsville... only visited once... long time ago now so someone else should comment.

Guest kiwi

Only know a bit about Hervey Bay, but will be there in 3 weeks to check it out. Houses are pretty cheap and you can have a nice house close to the beach for under $350,000. Lovely area with most of what you need and only about an hour or so to Noosa, 3 1/2 hours from Brisbane. Depends where you're from and what you're wanting. If you've been used to lots of night life you could find it quiet. If you go look on realestate.com and type in Hervey Bay, and click on any house, there's one of those real estate spiels at the bottom of the page that tells you a bit. Were still considering between HB, Brisbane and Perth, but for my OH jobs may be a problem in HB. There's a forum for the area if you're interested PM me.

Guest sandy25

Hi Sharon, I visited Mackay in March time. It really is a pretty area. The town centre part is a palm lined area and the marina is fabulous with a lovely park for the kids etc. It was quiet when we were there. we stayed in eimeo, which was a lovely suburb. Most of the suburbs are nice and have beach areas which are very quiet. I visited eimeo state school which was ok and emmanuel catholic primary school which was fantastic. I was very impressed. I wanted to move there just for the school. We only decided not to move there because there were few choices of jobs for me and my husband. But the area got a thumbs up from me and I wouldn't rule it out again in the future. A very safe area. fantastic for bringing up kids. Type in Mackay in the search bar above and there is 3 pages of info. some off me. Hope that helps. Luv wendy:jiggy:

Guest erma

Hi Sharon

I have a job with Queensland Health and we (Me and Hubby) are on our way on Monday (Can`t believe it) I`ve not been to Mackay but from the research I`ve done it seems to be a nice place to live, I`l give it a go anyway!

if you look for threads by RossDV8 you should be able to get some useful info - he lives there.

Good Luck were ever you decide you want to be

Erma

Guest erma

Hi Sharon - again

I didn`t actually say but I suppose it is obvious - the job is with QLD health in Mackay

Thanks for the info to you all.

Does Mackay and Hervey Bay have bad cyclones and extreme weather as my oh is worried about this. Also why is property so cheap in HB is there a reason or is it just an up and coming area.

Still struggling to decide between these areas and Perth.

Guest sandy25

Hi sharon, Mackay had severe flooding about March this year. the airports were closed and only opened on the day we arrived. However it was the worst in about thirty years (i think), so you may not want to live anywhere too flat, near rivers. This wouldn't have put me off though. You just need to be aware of this. I think it was freak weather just like we have in england. Wendy

• 1 month later...

hi sharon

hervey bay is a good place to stay ,we don`t usually feel the full force of cyclones as we are protected by fraser island

hervey bay is an up and coming city with its own airport and flights to sydney daily( jetstar and virgin blue).

look it up on the net

Archived