Getting my children in to school in Australia

KWordySunSeeker

Hi there.

I lodged my application for a partner 309 subclass visa 21 September 2015 to include my two children. My partner already has his visa from a few years back before we met, but he didn't end up leaving the UK due to unforeseen circumstances. We then decided we would like to give living in Australia a go. My partners visa expires in March so he has therefore booked his flight as he needs to get out there before it expires. Leaving me here in the UK until the visa is granted for myself and my children.

I am aware I can get a travel visa and stay in Australia until (hopefully) my visa is granted and I am aware I need to leave the country when it is granted.

I am just not sure where I stand exactly with enrolling my children in to school? I was hoping to seek a travel visa for us in July/August when the children finish school for the summer holidays. I then was thinking I would not worry about enrolling them in to a school until September (could be a small chance of visa being granted then as it would be a year - the current processing time being 10-14 months). We will be going to the Queensland area and I wondered if anyone could give me any information as to whether it is possible to enroll my children in to school around that time if the visa has not been granted by then.

As I am sure you can imagine...I am eager to get to Australia to be with my partner as soon as possible!! [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there.

I lodged my application for a partner 309 subclass visa 21 September 2015 to include my two children. My partner already has his visa from a few years back before we met, but he didn't end up leaving the UK due to unforeseen circumstances. We then decided we would like to give living in Australia a go. My partners visa expires in March so he has therefore booked his flight as he needs to get out there before it expires. Leaving me here in the UK until the visa is granted for myself and my children.

I am aware I can get a travel visa and stay in Australia until (hopefully) my visa is granted and I am aware I need to leave the country when it is granted.

I am just not sure where I stand exactly with enrolling my children in to school? I was hoping to seek a travel visa for us in July/August when the children finish school for the summer holidays. I then was thinking I would not worry about enrolling them in to a school until September (could be a small chance of visa being granted then as it would be a year - the current processing time being 10-14 months). We will be going to the Queensland area and I wondered if anyone could give me any information as to whether it is possible to enroll my children in to school around that time if the visa has not been granted by then.

As I am sure you can imagine...I am eager to get to Australia to be with my partner as soon as possible!! [emoji52]

I'm not 100% sure about enrolling a child apart from that you'll have to pay full school fees if you're not a permanent resident/citizen.

Note though, that the summer holidays (long one) is in December/January. Aussie kids are in school throughout July/August. So that will have to be a consideration.

I have heard some schools you may not have to pay for?!? I am looking in to this. I believe it depends on some areas?

Yes I was aware of their term times. Just thought it would still be fair to give my children their summer holiday time and time to adjust before enrolling them to a school? I'll keep researching. Thank you for your response. [emoji4]

I have heard some schools you may not have to pay for?!? I am looking in to this. I believe it depends on some areas?

Yes I was aware of their term times. Just thought it would still be fair to give my children their summer holiday time and time to adjust before enrolling them to a school? I'll keep researching. Thank you for your response. [emoji4]

Things may have changed since 2007 when I put my son in a public school but I still had to pay school fees in NSW on a partner temp visa. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will come along and help further with your query.

If you only have a tourist visa you may be able to enroll the children for a short amount of time in a school, however, you will have to pay full fees.

Once you have a valid PR visa then the children attend free. Some states charge fees for holders of temporary four year 457 visas, that may be what you are thinking of.

If you only have a tourist visa you may be able to enroll the children for a short amount of time in a school, however, you will have to pay full fees.

Once you have a valid PR visa then the children attend free. Some states charge fees for holders of temporary four year 457 visas, that may be what you are thinking of.

Yes maybe!! I find it all a little confusing at times!! Thank you for your response.

Hi What about your husband applying for a Return Resident Visa and that way it will give him at least another 1 year to move (maybe even 5 years) - then you could move together and you would have been granted your PR?

I'm pretty sure that you won't be paying fees for your kids once your 309 is through and it might make more sense for you just to wait for that to come before you leave UK. Technically you can enrol your kids for a maximum of 13 weeks as a tourist but you pay through the nose for the privilege with full International Fees.

Edited to link http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/visa-subclasses.pdf this is NSW fee schedule and they tend to be more draconian re 457 visa holders but I think the other classes are pretty constant across the states

I'm pretty sure that you won't be paying fees for your kids once your 309 is through and it might make more sense for you just to wait for that to come before you leave UK. Technically you can enrol your kids for a maximum of 13 weeks as a tourist but you pay through the nose for the privilege with full International Fees.

Edited to link http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/visa-subclasses.pdf this is NSW fee schedule and they tend to be more draconian re 457 visa holders but I think the other classes are pretty constant across the states

Thank you for this information.

Hi What about your husband applying for a Return Resident Visa and that way it will give him at least another 1 year to move (maybe even 5 years) - then you could move together and you would have been granted your PR?

I don't think he can? Migration agent said he would need a very good reason to return and this could jeopardise my visa application?

Archived