Income tax question

nursealex

Hi,

I have a few questions about income tax ahead of my move to Aus, I will be working as a registered nurse in my 7th year post graduation, therefore weekly income will be around $1500, annually $78000.

How much tax roughly am I looking at paying?

Will the amount of tax I pay depend on which type of visa I go for?

Thanks,

Alex x

[TABLE=width: 206]

[TR]

[TD]Annual:[/TD]

[TD] 78,000.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Medicare:[/TD]

[TD] 1,560.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total:[/TD]

[TD] 16,897.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]%age:[/TD]

[TD] 0.22[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Net Annual:[/TD]

[TD] 58,373.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Month:[/TD]

[TD] 4,994.42[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tax:[/TD]

[TD] 1,408.08[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Medicare[/TD]

[TD] 130.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi,

I have a few questions about income tax ahead of my move to Aus, I will be working as a registered nurse in my 7th year post graduation, therefore weekly income will be around $1500, annually $78000.

How much tax roughly am I looking at paying?

Will the amount of tax I pay depend on which type of visa I go for?

Thanks,

Alex x

The Tax Withheld on $1,500 per week is $356 leaving you with Net Pay of $1,144 (https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Tax-withheld-calculator/Individual-Non-business-Calculator.aspx) but you'll get some of that tax back at the end of the year if you don't have any other income.

There's no difference to the tax on your Australian income between a 457 or PR visa (although 457 holders aren't taxed on their foreign income but can be hit by other costs and 457 holders from some countries - but not the UK - can claim an exemption from the medicare levy as they don't have an entitlement). There will be a big difference next year for WHV holders as they won't get the tax free allowance but I'm guessing that's not the type of visa you had in mind.

PS - watch out for Super. Some unscrupulous employers will say they'll pay you $78,000 but later say they mean't $78,000 including Super. Always make sure that if someone says $78,000 they mean $78,000 plus Super (that's the 9.5% on top of your gross pay the employer has to pay to your superannuation i.e. pension fund).

Edited by Ken