Dual Citizen Entering Australia on Holiday

dmuk

I fly to Australia soon for a short holiday and hold a UK Passport (with Australian Tourist Visa). I also hold Australian citizenship but no Australian passport.

While the travel guidance says dual nationals “trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen” ... “should” enter and exit Australia on an Australian passport. It is not totally clear if entering/exiting on a non-Australian passport is acceptable.

All other evidence I have read is either ambiguous or vague. From the visa website it makes no objections to Australians applying for tourist visas on non-Australian visas. I have heard from numerous UK/Australian passport holders entering Australia on UK passports with visas.

Citizens cannot hold a visa by definition. You should enter Australia with an Australian Passport.

I actually saw a huge argument in Brisbane airport between two women and immigration officials. From what I overheard they were Australian citizens trying to enter on British passports. You can't actually be denied entry as a citizen, but you might be in for some problems and questioning at the airport.

Citizens cannot hold a visa by definition. You should enter Australia with an Australian Passport.

I actually saw a huge argument in Brisbane airport between two women and immigration officials. From what I overheard they were Australian citizens trying to enter on British passports. You can't actually be denied entry as a citizen, but you might be in for some problems and questioning at the airport.

This is my concern. Visa application states nothing about Australian citizens not applying. And I cannot find any clear evidence stating I would be denied entry. I may face a delay but not denied entry. Further I have only heard of issues where no visa is granted.

This is my concern. Visa application states nothing about Australian citizens not applying. And I cannot find any clear evidence stating I would be denied entry. I may face a delay but not denied entry.

You can't ever be denied entry to Australia unless you renounce your citizenship. Any visa that you have for Australia is void or cancelled once you are a citizen.

See this info here where it says that you must enter and leave Australia on an Australian Passport https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Curr/Citizenship-through-travel

I'm trying the passport route but no appointments available at this stage.

I have read conflicting guidance "should" and "must" is used interchangeably.

I'm fairly sure you can get a passport processed in two days plus delivery time. Although delivery times are going to be longer in the Christmas post.

If you explain that it's urgent then they may get you a quicker appointment at Australia House, presuming you are in the UK. When are you travelling?

I'm fairly sure you can get a passport processed in two days plus delivery time. Although delivery times are going to be longer in the Christmas post.

If you explain that it's urgent then they may get you a quicker appointment at Australia House, presuming you are in the UK. When are you travelling?

They have said they only issue emergency appointments for exceptional circumstances. Imminent travel was not deemed exceptional.

They have said they only issue emergency appointments for exceptional circumstances. Imminent travel was not deemed exceptional.

If you have already booked and paid for the travel, then it is considered urgent or exceptional.

I had to drive my ex to the Australian High Commission the next day after she realised she needed a new passport, and we had flights booked the following week. She just told them on the phone that she needed a passport and she had the flights booked, they asked her to bring in the flight booking/itinerary to prove it.

Archived