Looking to meet friends!

Tracey

Hey Tracey maybe join a local social group, aerobic class or swimming or coffee club etc! I'm from cairns too far from you but it might be worth a try! I'm from the uk and I've been here nearly four years the majority of my friendships are with other uk'ers if that helps! Good luck in your search it's hard making friends here so I can appreciate your post!

It is scary and some Australians not all are not the best in coming forward to make friends! We don't travel either as your right that would probably be easier! I hope you find some friends or acquaintances. It's probably more likely to be the later unfortunately! Just the way it seems here!

Part of the problem is probably where you are living. Most are transient people and renters and have their lives in place. The suburbs is where you get to meet people. Most people work in the city and then depart to the suburbs after work. I was fortunate when I was single as I had come to Aus with girl friends and we lived together so that made it easy.

Once you have children it becomes very easy to make friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Same boat here. From Stoke. Threatened to go home so many times that I have made a decision to go back when I get my citizenship. I just don't like it here. Moved to Carnegie where I've not met a single person. It was better in a house share in South Yarra but you meet some messy morons too. Not looking forward to Christmas. Gonna be lonely with just myself and my lady.

Same boat here. From Stoke. Threatened to go home so many times that I have made a decision to go back when I get my citizenship. I just don't like it here. Moved to Carnegie where I've not met a single person. It was better in a house share in South Yarra but you meet some messy morons too. Not looking forward to Christmas. Gonna be lonely with just myself and my lady.

Exactly the same situation but in Altona :-(

Have any of you tried meet up? We have just been to one and met some great people. It was scary though because we had never done anything like that before!

We live in Yarraville, we have made a few friends here through work, other friends etc. a piece of advice I received was to never turn down an invitation, even if you don't want to go, it is worth it for the opportunities of meeting new people that you might click with. It is so important to have a network of friends out here.

It is hard being so far away from close friends/family but that's the sacrifice for living out here.

I've pm'd you Tracey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Cara Jones

Hi,

im moving over to Melbourne in March and will be living in point cook, I'm lucky to have my brother, his wife and a friend already living there but would like to meet more new friends to help settle in!

:) I'm happy to organize a meet up too