builders license VIC

SGHJLL

Hi, we would like to hear from anyone who has completed their builders license in Victoria.

Trying to figure out the best way to go about it as there are lots of firms who charge to help you complete it and we are finding it very confusing as prices seem to vary so much.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has done theirs or a limited builders license - I am a carpenter.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am a contracts manager (construction) in UK and have noticed a site supervisor licence is needed in QLD but was wondering if this was the case in WA?

If so, I have no formal qualification as a supervisor (qualified carpenter but been in a contracts manager position for last 4 years).

Can anyone clarify what and where licensing is required for me to work in similar role?

Apologies if this has been answered but cannot seem to find it anywhere?

Lee

I work very closely with QBCC and obtaining licensing in QLD is not easy without transferable qualifications. Don't know about WA.

S

Thanks for the reply. Seems very strange that you can get assessed as a tradesman without formal qualifications to obtain a skilled visa but cannot get the same for supervisors/management?

In the UK quite a lot of management were once tradesmen as experience in the industry seems to account for more than a piece of paper. I don't mean to offend anyone by this, just that you get found out pretty quickly unless you have the required experience.

Looks like I may have to go back to college then!:huh:

With reference to Qld, for Civil works then no license is needed, I think this applies to all States and Territories too. For Building you will need a supervisor license, though srg73 is probably more up to date on this than myself, I was at one time led to believe that a 'supervisor' license was one of the easier licenses to obtain as no specific qualification was needed more just experience, but you are not allowed to do any actual hands-on work with this license. No idea on WA but googling up the relevant authority for any state and checking out there web sites and asking questions of them would be my next move.

Good luck with everything.

Archived