Sydney suburbs

ClaireChris

I think we are definitely going to move to Sydney with the job offer and have seen some properties in these two suburbs.

Caringbah

Glenfield Panorama (newer housing development)

They are very different and opposite sides of Sydney. We have a 2 & 4 year old and my husband will be travelling to Chullira.

Any feedback would be useful ?

I did some research on travelling times between Glenfield and Chullora and Caringbah and Chullora, and Glenfield seems to be a little closer and quicker, though you would really have to try the drive in the peak hour, mornings and afternoons. There is no direct route by public transport from either suburb to Chullora, involving a combination of bus and train, and again it seems a little easier from Glenfield.

I imagine homes would be cheaper at Glenfield, although I think Caringbah would be a nicer area to live, closer to the ocean, and cooler in summer. Of course, that also depends on your interpretation of "nicer." You might want to have a brand-new home, which is probably easier and cheaper to get at Glenfield.

You could look around Padstow/Panania/Revesby, where, if you can afford to buy at Caringbah, you could also afford to buy there. It's on a more direct route to Chullora by car, and I think there is a bus route which goes north via Bankstown. My brother used to live at Picnic Point, not far from Padstow, so I am familiar with the area. I typed in travel times by car, at 0700 and 0800 on Monday morning and it's around 15 minutes (under five miles) from Padstow to Chullora. Remember that commuting in Sydney is rarely a pleasant experience.

You could also look a little south of Padstow over the Georges River, where there are newer estates around Alfords Point and Menai, which are also on the same route north to Chullora.

I think we are definitely going to move to Sydney with the job offer and have seen some properties in these two suburbs.

Caringbah

Glenfield Panorama (newer housing development)

Glenfield is built by Mirvac, who are arguably Australia's best quality builder - so the houses will be good. It wouldn't be my choice because we love eating out and there is just nothing around there, otherwise the estate is a nice family-friendly place I believe - even though some of the surrounding suburbs (like Macquarie Fields) have a terrible reputation.

One thing that would worry me - one of the big parts of "living the Aussie dream" for most people is being near the beach. Glenfield may be handy for the mountains, but if you want to go to the beach on a summer weekend, everyone else will have the same idea - so it could take you two hours in a hot car by the time you drive there and find parking.

I don't know why you would pick Caringbah - it's one of the more boring of the Sutherland Shire suburbs. The big snag will be your husband's commute. In peak hour, Caringbah to Chullora would be a good hour's drive. If he takes the train, it would take him 1.5 hours!!

Glenfield to Chullora is a much shorter trip, but the M5 often turns into a car park at peak hour so it could still be a chore. Although Glenfield is handy for a train station, Sydney's trains all go into the CBD and out again, so there's no train that goes across suburbs - the trip would take him 1.5 hours.

My conclusion - neither suburb is a good choice for your husband's commute.

If you want to be closer to the coast, then why not look at some areas between Caringbah and Chullora? I lived in Oatley and loved it - lovely family-friendly suburb with a huge park, good schools, nice pub, supermarket, cafes and local shops. You can take the train to the beach, or drive, in half an hour. Commute in peak hour could still be up to 45 minutes on a bad day, but there are a few alternative routes once he knows his way around, which could cut the time. I used to do that drive fairly often.

However my recommendation would be to consider South Strathfield, Ashbury, Belfield. Quiet older suburbs, close to Ashfield and Strathfield for shopping, and only 20 minutes' drive to Chullora even in peak hour. As a new arrival, you want your husband around as much as possible until you meet new people and make some friends. The snag may be affordability.

Archived