Pension advice

Jessthegirl

Hi, were shortly going to be leaving the UK and I was wondering what are some of the things one needs to do with their pension and taxes here. Did you just try and do this yourselves? Was it easy to find information? (We've failed so far in Google) or is it better to find a company here to help us? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We we don't have much having just sold our flat, nor do we have a large pension.

thanks very much

j

Only thing you can do with your pension at the moment is inform your pension provider of your new address in Australia. Unless you are over 55 you can't currently move it to Australia, although this may change at some point. The only other thing to do is to compete a form for the tax man to say you are permanently leaving the country and you might get some tax back. I can't remember the number of the form but someone else might know which one it is.

Hi NicF, thanks for coming back to me, I've got the tax form saved to complete once I leave my job. I'm just concerned about state pensions etc as having read a couple of posts in the financial section on this forum, I've realised I don't have the faintest as to where to begin and and just confused. I really need a dummies guide explanation ...

Keep paying your state pension contributions from Aus, you never know if they might come in handy.

If you have private pensions in UK, leave them where they are until you are certain that your long term future lies in Australia because if you transfer them then that's where they stay until you hit retirement age even if you leave well before that. Once Aus has them they won't let them go!

Definitely keep up to date with pension contributions. It is really worth it. When you try to get a pension here in Australia they make you apply for any British entitlements first ( even if you have only worked a couple of years there.) They are making it increasingly difficult to get any state pension here- almost impossible unless you have never worked and are really poor.

Archived