Working holiday in Brisbane , can anyone recommend decent areas to rent apartment ?

ScottyScotland

Hi folks, My Girlfriend and i are going to Brisbane in 2016 ( July at the latest) . I have been looking into apartments and areas where we could rent that are not through the roof expensive.

I am an electrician , my girlfriend a nursery teacher, we would be looking for work in these fields although are not fussy as long as we have money coming in .

Anyone who has any information regarding renting, apartments, location i would love to hear from you ,

Thanks Guys

Scott.

Have you been on http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

You can narrow it down from there to look at places within your price range. Look at things like the proximity to public transport. Brisbane is a massive area - I live in the Bayside, which is a 45 minute drive to the CBD, but is still classed as Brisbane. I find the public transport around to be cheap and easy to manage though - trains, buses and citycat.

• 3 weeks later...

Teneriffe, Newstead and Paddington.......you only need to include Bulimba and Ascot and you have the top 5 most expensive suburbs in Brisbane! If you want central also have a look at Albion and surrounding areas, 5 mins from the Valley and on main train and bus routes.

Brisbane remains affordable however the more expensive areas are close to better transport links.

S

Teneriffe, Newstead and Paddington.......you only need to include Bulimba and Ascot and you have the top 5 most expensive suburbs in Brisbane! If you want central also have a look at Albion and surrounding areas, 5 mins from the Valley and on main train and bus routes.

Brisbane remains affordable however the more expensive areas are close to better transport links.

S

thanks for your reply :) ,

Doubtful that you will get work as an electrician as you need local qualifications and tickets. Also furnished apartments are rare and expensive I would get busy on the net plug in your requirements and search around see what comes up it would at least give you an insight as to what is about, how much and where. You could I suppose buy furniture etc from a charity shop if renting unfurnished also remember there will be a 4 weeks rent bond to put down on any rental property, which may be a little difficult to get all of it back depending on the agent used.

Have you considered house sitting ? https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitting-assignments/australia/queensland/brisbane/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Google-Adwords&gclid=CMGT7MOT38kCFYeCvQod_8wJuA

Lots of agencies if you google them. People go away often for several months and look for people to live in there home and care for the house, garden and sometimes pets. No cost to you and free accomadation.

Doubtful that you will get work as an electrician as you need local qualifications and tickets. Also furnished apartments are rare and expensive I would get busy on the net plug in your requirements and search around see what comes up it would at least give you an insight as to what is about, how much and where. You could I suppose buy furniture etc from a charity shop if renting unfurnished also remember there will be a 4 weeks rent bond to put down on any rental property, which may be a little difficult to get all of it back depending on the agent used.

Would not be looking for work specifically as electrician , have 6 years experience in construction so willing to work in any job .

thanks for your reply :)

Have you considered house sitting ? https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitting-assignments/australia/queensland/brisbane/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Google-Adwords&gclid=CMGT7MOT38kCFYeCvQod_8wJuA

Lots of agencies if you google them. People go away often for several months and look for people to live in there home and care for the house, garden and sometimes pets. No cost to you and free accomadation.

hi Tina, thanks for your reply, im going to check this link out now :)

Would not be looking for work specifically as electrician , have 6 years experience in construction so willing to work in any job .

thanks for your reply :)

OK, you will need a "white Card" to work in construction, for Queensland you can do this on the net with 'Blue Dog' being a popular web site for doing this, or you can sit in a 1 day course once you are here. The company I work for (Civil construction) are presently using labour agency guys if you want I can pm you the contacts of the 3 agencies we use.

Would you cope with a house share? May be a bit cheaper - Teneriffe etc as mentioned are the places to be if you want to be central but are pricey (1 bed apartments around $500). My daughter rents a 3 bed town house in Sherwood where we live - $450 and only 20 mins on the very good train service.... depends if you're willing to travel but if you live further out I'd restrict your search to anywhere along the train line or bus ways (the bus way is excellent) Greenslopes, Buranda, Gabba etc v commutable.

West End is a also brilliant place for edgy entertainment and bars and you can walk everywhere -

OK, you will need a "white Card" to work in construction, for Queensland you can do this on the net with 'Blue Dog' being a popular web site for doing this, or you can sit in a 1 day course once you are here. The company I work for (Civil construction) are presently using labour agency guys if you want I can pm you the contacts of the 3 agencies we use.

Thanks again for your reply, i will check out blue dog although may just do course on arrival. If you could pm me those details that would be great ! i finally fell like the ball is rolling with our move and im learning every day mostly thanks to this forum and peoples replies :)

Archived