Money transfer

chilliboy

Hi,

We are moving to Oz next week and due to having had to (as everyone does) organise a million things have not yet organised our money transfer.Please could I get some advice from users who have gone through the process with their experiences and advice,many ,many thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen

Moneycorp is the one most of our members use and we also used them many years back transferring our house sale money. I was a nervous wreck but it was so easy. Don't forget as well that if you mention pomsinoz you will get fee free transfers. John from Moneycorp is on here so give him a shout if you have any questions.

Hi chilliboy,

I have used Halo (London) a few times and found them quite good. Most the Aussie banks will let you open an account from overseas (deposit only) and when you arrive you go in with your id etc they activate the account. the account will take deposits (Halo, moneycorp or whoever) before you arrive. I used CBA (Commonwealth bank) and had no issues. Really good online and app banking.

Safe travels,

Col

Hi,

We are moving to Oz next week and due to having had to (as everyone does) organise a million things have not yet organised our money transfer.Please could I get some advice from users who have gone through the process with their experiences and advice,many ,many thanks.

I second the Moneycorp idea. What you do is sign up with them, then transfer your money to an Australian dollar account with them. Then you can let it sit there until you've got your Australian bank account sorted, and then you transfer the money out of Moneycorp into the Aussie bank account.

Moneycorp is not a bank, so while your money is sitting with Moneycorp you can't withdraw it directly. That means you need to allow for spending money. You can open a bank account with NAB before you go, but it's wise to take more than you think you need, in case something goes wrong!

Keep some money in your UK bank account so you've got your British cards as a backup - the exchange rate isn't the best but it's easy.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-transfer-ask-moneycorp/228295-save-money-transfers-special-offer-forum-members.html

Alternatively Currency fair is good. You basically do the whole process yourself on-line exchanging with other users. If not confident and want an agent then the above may be better...

Archived