Renting in UK with our dog

Phoebe Holmes

Hi,

We're moving back to the UK next year and have been looking at potential rental properties as we plan to rent for the first couple of years. We're not sure exactly where but we're looking at Exeter, Bristol and Bath so far. However, we are bringing our pet dog with us and have already noticed that almost all rentals specify no pets in their adverts. Does anyone know if this is a hard and fast rule or whether some landlords are willing to compromise? I would say that other than our dog (who is small and clean and inoffensive), we are perfect tenants: professionals/non smokers etc. Any advice around this?

Hi,

We're moving back to the UK next year and have been looking at potential rental properties as we plan to rent for the first couple of years. We're not sure exactly where but we're looking at Exeter, Bristol and Bath so far. However, we are bringing our pet dog with us and have already noticed that almost all rentals specify no pets in their adverts. Does anyone know if this is a hard and fast rule or whether some landlords are willing to compromise? I would say that other than our dog (who is small and clean and inoffensive), we are perfect tenants: professionals/non smokers etc. Any advice around this?

We rented a lovely new house a while back, initially they said no pets but I took my two dogs into the estate agents with me and won round the people in the office, so they allowed the dogs,...... And the cat, two rabbits and four chickens!

The landlady came round for 3 monthly inspections and was pleased every time how well kept the house and garden were.

I wouldn't worry.

laura

We rented a lovely new house a while back, initially they said no pets but I took my two dogs into the estate agents with me and won round the people in the office, so they allowed the dogs,...... And the cat, two rabbits and four chickens!

The landlady came round for 3 monthly inspections and was pleased every time how well kept the house and garden were.

I wouldn't worry.

laura

Exactly this, the rules arent set in stone.

I rent my house in the UK to tenants with a dog and a cat. Am slightly rural and lots of people have pets in the country. Suspect you may struggle in the inner city where there is loads of competition but otherwise open to negotiation. It may be the agency not the landlord stipulating those regulations. Here in Brisbane I have actually seen family houses advertised with 'no children'!

We rent a house out in the Midlands and both my children, including son in Melbourne, have a property each that they rent out here. Although when advertised we put 'no pets' we were happy to consider them. Just didn't want someone with ten dogs applying. I think landlords look at the whole picture generally when deciding on whether to accept a tenant.