PMV applicant past travel

Linlanae

Hello all!

I'm sorry to start a new thread for such a simple question but I've asked on other forums and had no response so far. I also happen to be American but I was hoping you guys may be able to help me since I know this may also be an issue for some of you.

I'm in the process of filling in my online application for the Prospective Marriage Visa and have run into a bit of a snag regarding my past travel. Before 2009 it wasn't required for Americans traveling to either Mexico or Canada directly across the border checkpoint to have a passport. Even after passports were required there was no stamp given. Prior to 2009 all that was required was I.D. I was able to provide dates for one trip to Canada and one trip to Mexico based on the time stamp from my camera on the pictures I took, but I know I made at least 3 more day trips to both.

I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to write a statement to this effect and provide it with my application. If so should I leave any mention off the 40sp and just provide a statement? Or should I include 3 trips to each with a generic date ( ie 01 / 01 / 1900) as well as a statement? And should I have the statement certified?

Thanks for the help! I'm submitting my application within the next week or so and I'm just not sure how to address this issue.

Hi Linlanae,

To be on the safe side I would include it on the 40sp as well as writing a statement and include generic dates for them. I had to do that with one of my trips. I'm from the UK and even though I have a passport, I don't have one from the beginning of the 10 years ago as it was replaced and they kept it so I couldn't give the exact dates.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

I couldn't give exact dates for some of my trips overseas so just gave a broad date and put a note somewhere on the form about it. Think I gave a month and year but not the exact days.

I've gone through PMV- SPouse visas myself, and we have also got my new husband a temp spouse visa, now waiting for PR. Neither of us can be sure of dates of travel over the years so we have both done forms with approx dates, usually 01/month/year - never had an issue.

Thanks so much. That's what I needed to know.

One more thing...since I'll be including a statement about this do you think I'll need to have it certified?

Don't make it a statement, just write it in the additional info of the application form or Form80 whichever you're completing.

I lived in Northern Ireland and travelled frequently to the South - including just to fill my car up with petrol. Plus, my mum lived in Kent so we would often go to France to the supermarket and have lunch. I didn't have dates. I made a list on a separate piece of paper for all my travel overseas (I had travelled a lot), setting out in chronological order the country and dates. It was much easier to do this on the computer rather than on a form. Where I didn't have exact dates I just put months or, in a couple of cases, years. Then at the bottom, I added a line that said "frequent travel to Republic of Ireland, France and Belgium throughout this period".

Then, on the form in the space where you are supposed to list your travel, I just wrote: "see separate sheet".

This was good enough for my visas in 2010 and 2012.

Unfortunately the online 40sp doesn't include a "notes" section where I would provide all this information. The online form only allows you to input the country and dates of travel. I thought I was getting ahead of the game by filling out the paper 40sp before I filled in the online one but this has been a bit of a snag for me. I think I'll just put a generic date and include a statement. I don't really want to try to guess and risk seeming dishonest. It seems like they should include a notes section for the online form as well but they dont.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Archived