Visa application finalised but still no approval nor visa!

VGZ

Hi everyone

As being married to an Aussie lass and about to take the move to Sydney, I applied online for a partner visa (subclass 309) 5 months ago. On my account on immi.com.au, the status of the visa was "in progress" the whole time, but last week it changed into "Finalised". If I place the mouse pointer on this word, a message appears saying "A decision has been made on your application".

Yet, I still haven't received any news from the Department of Immigration, and there is no new attachment in my account. Besides that, my case officer does not answer my emails…

If this happened to someone before, I was interested in knowing the delay between the moment a decision is made and the actual grant of the visa. I just can’t wait to get this piece of paper since I’ve got a wife and an employer waiting for me there!

Thanks a lot for your advice

Hi everyone

As being married to an Aussie lass and about to take the move to Sydney, I applied online for a partner visa (subclass 309) 5 months ago. On my account on immi.com.au, the status of the visa was "in progress" the whole time, but last week it changed into "Finalised". If I place the mouse pointer on this word, a message appears saying "A decision has been made on your application".

Yet, I still haven't received any news from the Department of Immigration, and there is no new attachment in my account. Besides that, my case officer does not answer my emails…

If this happened to someone before, I was interested in knowing the delay between the moment a decision is made and the actual grant of the visa. I just can’t wait to get this piece of paper since I’ve got a wife and an employer waiting for me there!

Thanks a lot for your advice

Check VEVO

Hi Snifter

Is this reflecting the time it actually takes for partner visa applications (subclass 309)?

According to the Department of Immigration's website, the processing time is currently 5 months for a partner visa application lodget outside Australia: https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/family-visa-processing-times

(considering we are low risk, which must be the case).

It is hard to believe that it would take another 5 to 9 months to actually grant the visa after a decision has been made...

..... and an employer waiting for me there!

I'm really sorry but the advice given on the immigration website is to not make any definite plans re moving till the visa is granted. If you've already got a job lined up with a start date you may have to push it back or pass up on the job.

Where are you located exactly? And your wife already there but you are applying for a 309 from overseas? Did she go on ahead? I don't get why you didn't lodge an on shore application (if from the UK say). Its the same cost and you'd go onto a bridging visa and iirc have work rights till the visa is finalised.

Hi Snifter

Is this reflecting the time it actually takes for partner visa applications (subclass 309)?

According to the Department of Immigration's website, the processing time is currently 5 months for a partner visa application lodget outside Australia: https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/family-visa-processing-times

It is hard to believe that it would take another 5 to 9 months to actually grant the visa after a decision has been made...

You don't work from the timeframe listed on the Gov website. Its been 5 months for so long now and isn't the correct timeframe. Other timeframes are out of whack also with actual grant times. Ignore those.

You need to work from the link I gave you, the Aus High Commission in London. That has all the up to date visa timeframes. And currently they are running at about 10 months for applicants. This may get longer with the influx to beat the last price increase but may not. Hard to know. Anyways, that is how it works, even if its all ok, it sits in the queue till the grant time ticks round. We've all had the same wait in the queue, some longer than others. When I applied a few years ago now the wait time had been about 5-6 months, then increaed to 8-9 months, after I got my grant it went up and is now at 10-14 months.

Your CO most likely won't reply as its a non urgent matter and they generally don't reply to such stuff. It all goes via a central point now and only gets passed on if its urgent or needs a CO eyes on it. Otherwise it gets a general reply (if that).

My wife is Australian, she's found a job in Sydney and started in May this year. I was not eligible for a bridging visa since we were not living in Australia before and I did not have any rights there. So considering the processing time, I preferred to keep working rather go there on a tourist visa and wait until a decision is made on my visa application to start a new job (+having to leave and re-enter the country to activate the visa).

I am currently located in New Caledonia.

My wife is Australian, she's found a job in Sydney and started in May this year. I was not eligible for a bridging visa since we were not living in Australia before and I did not have any rights there. So considering the processing time, I preferred to keep working rather go there on a tourist visa and wait until a decision is made on my visa application to start a new job (+having to leave and re-enter the country to activate the visa).

I am currently located in New Caledonia.

There is an on shore partner visa that can be applied for. You could have entered on a 3 month tourist visa and lodged it at some point then and gone onto a bridging visa at the end of the 3 months. You didn't need to have been resident in Australia before hand to have applied for this, just met the other criteria to be able to apply. You would have also been able to remain on shore at grant. As it is you've applied off shore and if its through the UK then its a 10-14 month wait from lodging to grant.

From the gov website The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.

Hi Snifter

You say you are in New Caledonia, currently. Are you a New Caledonia passport holder? If so, you are not considered low risk. Only those people who are eligible for ETA are low risk and New Caledonia are not on that list.

Hey Snifter, I've got my visa grant notice today! 5 months after I applied, yes. The reason why I haven't heard from the department straight after a decision was made is because my CO was sick and out of the office.

Thanks for your answers anyway. Cheers.

Archived