skilled employment for 189

RuthyEc89

Hello to all,

I am not too sure how this site really works with regards to making new posts, so if this thread is anywhere else or needs moving I do apologise!!

Myself and boyfriend are hoping to apply for 189 visa. He's a first class welder (received positive skill assessment from Victoria University yesterday, yay) We currently have 50 points and he's booked onto ilets a week today.

My question is with regards to how many points he can claim for Skilled employment.

He started an apprenticeship in his trade in March 2004, he receieved his foundation modern apprenticeship certificate in January 2008 however his last certificate was issued in December 2008 for his Modern Apprenticeship.

I'm just wondering whether we can claim the time spent in his apprenticeship as skilled employment or whether its only post qualification??

I've read the information on the immi website which says the relevant assessing body provides an opinion on a date which you should use, but ours has no mention of a date on the outcome letter?

So confused, any advice would be massively appreciated as we don't want to under/over calculate our points when submitting an EOI.

Thank you x

I'm just wondering whether we can claim the time spent in his apprenticeship as skilled employment or whether its only post qualification?

The latter.

A boyfriend/girlfriend relationship is not sufficient to include a secondary applicant on a visa application.

As wrussel points out, no, you can not claim points for that period. Only post qualification experience will be counted.

Also, as mentioned, a couple do not need to be married to be included, but must be de facto. In other words living together as if they are man and wife and you would need to provide evidence of this

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for clearing that up!

We understand about a defacto relationship, I will be included as this on the application. We have been together for almost 6 years and living together for almost 4, so we have our evidence to prove this, lease agreements, joint bank account and bills together etc.

It was just the points for skilled employment we were unsure of!

Thanks again! :-)

Archived