ACS Application with or without RPL?

perth78

I am going to do my ACS work experience application this week. I have 5 reference letters signed by previous employers; with these letters I am able to prove that I worked as a Software Developer for around 14 years. Also I studied Diploma of IT in Victoria University TAFE in 2012 - 2013. After I graduated I found a sponsor and worked in Australia for 1 year and a half.

My question is do I need to do RPL to claim my work experience before my graduation date? My reference letters are quite strong. For instance from 2010 to 2012 I worked as a Lead Developer and I was responsible for a team. From 2005 - 2008 I did programming for RFID cards, Access Control Systems etc. All these info defined on my reference letters.

I have googled heaps of RPL questions for Application Developer occupation in other forums and realized that most people either don't have IT graduation diploma or worked as different titles but did some web sites or mid-range developments.

Thanks for your replies.

My degree is Australian equivalent TAFE Diploma. I studied Diploma of Information Technologies in Victoria University TAFE and I have checked the ACS's website. The matrix table says a Diploma or Advanced Diploma is enough for Developer Programmer application. Also I have heaps of programming and development Microsoft certificates that I took at past -not MCSE or relevant ones, but also I took an exam in 2013 in Australia for Microsoft Sharepoint Application Developer and it is still valid.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to do the RPL.

Going down the degree route, you need at least 2 years work experience after your degree, to get a positive assessment.

You have 14 years experience, so you could do the RPL, then your first 6 or 8 years work experience (with your RPL report) will get you a positive assessment (and you visa points from the remaining years work experience).

You would also gain visa points for your work experience in Australia (not sure how many).

Going down the degree route, you need at least 2 years work experience after your degree, to get a positive assessment.

You have 14 years experience, so you could do the RPL, then your first 6 or 8 years work experience (with your RPL report) will get you a positive assessment (and you visa points from the remaining years work experience).

You would also gain visa points for your work experience in Australia (not sure how many).

I worked for 1 year and a half in Australia after I graduated then started to work in another company which is in Serbia. Total experience after graduation is 3 years. I am able to claim 5 points for Australian work experience. Before my graduation date I have around 10 years of work experience. I did my application yesterday without RPL as my migration agent suggested.

I worked for 1 year and a half in Australia after I graduated then started to work in another company which is in Serbia. Total experience after graduation is 3 years. I am able to claim 5 points for Australian work experience. Before my graduation date I have around 10 years of work experience. I did my application yesterday without RPL as my migration agent suggested.

Take a look at ACS' summary of criteria:

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Which category do you fall under?

It's best that you have submitted your skills assessment, as the migration agent suggested. If ACS think you need to go down they RPL route, they will let you know and give you 30 days to write it (by the looks of things though, you may not need to).

I tried to submit by diploma (a UK one) but it wasn't recognised, so I had to do the RPL :( -- All came out good in the end though :)

Good luck.

My only concern is according to the ACS guideline they don't recognise the work experience before the graduation date but I worked around 10 years before I graduated.

Two projects you have to explain in RPL. What I understood is that ACS gives the years of work experience in related to the "tasks", "skills", "development experience", "analytical thinking" etc. information that you describe in your project descriptions. For instance, if you did only web site development in one of your projects ( pull data from database and display on the screen, use some scripts, asp.net etc. ) they don't give too much year because a junior developer can learn and do all these tasks within 2 years or less. My reference letters are quite strong.

So I will let you know guys about ACS's response. Most likely they will not ask me that RPL thing.

Take a look at ACS' summary of criteria:

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Which category do you fall under?

It's best that you have submitted your skills assessment, as the migration agent suggested. If ACS think you need to go down they RPL route, they will let you know and give you 30 days to write it (by the looks of things though, you may not need to).

I tried to submit by diploma (a UK one) but it wasn't recognised, so I had to do the RPL :( -- All came out good in the end though :)

Good luck.

Mine is "Diploma Advanced Diploma Associate Degree"

My only concern is according to the ACS guideline they don't recognise the work experience before the graduation date but I worked around 10 years before I graduated.

Two projects you have to explain in RPL. What I understood is that ACS gives the years of work experience in related to the "tasks", "skills", "development experience", "analytical thinking" etc. information that you describe in your project descriptions. For instance, if you did only web site development in one of your projects ( pull data from database and display on the screen, use some scripts, asp.net etc. ) they don't give too much year because a junior developer can learn and do all these tasks within 2 years or less. My reference letters are quite strong.

So I will let you know guys about ACS's response. Most likely they will not ask me that RPL thing.

You will only receive work experience from the date of your qualification. How many points do you need for your experience?

You mentioned that your diploma was from 2012-2013 so that is actually less than 3 years ago which would mean that you receive 0 points for overseas work experience.

You would receive 5 points for 1 year of Australian work experience though.

I need 10 points. I have been working since I graduated so next month will be 3 years. You mean I have to work 2 more years to claim 5 points for overseas work experience? I know that I can claim 5 points for Australian work experience.

If I have to do the RPL documentation should I pick the two projects before my graduation date? 10 years work experience I have before my graduation date.

Mine is "Diploma Advanced Diploma Associate Degree"

OK. I assume your "Diploma of IT" is "Closely related to the nominated occupation".

In which case, you need "5 years relevant work experience completed in the last 10 years or 6 years relevant work experience anytime in past work history"

See ACS's document "Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants":

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/7319/Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf

(study section 5, Skill level requirement met date, example 2, employment BEFORE the qualification)

It looks like your skill level requirement met date would be after $month 2013 (which month did you complete the degree?)

Any work experience you did after $month 2013 will be used to gain points for the visa.

1.5 years Australian working experience (in your chosen occupation) == 5 points

+ the 10 points for your degree == 15 points

What is your age? And do you plan on taking an IELTS test?

I will take IETLS and I can easily get 7.0. I am 37 years old. I have highlighted the points that I need.

33-39 (inclusive) 25 points

Proficient English 10 points

At least one but less than three years (of past 10 years) 5 points

At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years) 10 points

Diploma or trade qualification or other qualification completed in Australia, or qualification or award of recognised standard. 10 points

I will take IETLS and I can easily get 7.0. I am 37 years old. I have highlighted the points that I need.

33-39 (inclusive) 25 points

Proficient English 10 points

At least one but less than three years (of past 10 years) 5 points

At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years) 10 points

Diploma or trade qualification or other qualification completed in Australia, or qualification or award of recognised standard. 10 points

All looks good, except the "At least five but less than eight years (10 points)". You will not get these 10 points. The reason being is that points are only given for skilled employment after the "skill level requirement met date". You could try for 20 points on IELTS?

If you went down the RPL route (which would ignore your degree for ACS skills assessment purposes), it may be possible as you have a lot of years work experience (14 years in total? or is it 14 years + another 1.5 years in Oz?). Best wait to see what skilled date ACS give you.

Totally 14 years. 1 year and a half is in Australia. I will have 3 years experience after my graduation date. 1,5 year is in Australia and 1,5 year is in Serbia. So with RPL I guess I can get 3+ years. The aim of all these rules including RPL are to determine the developers' experience. My reference letters are quite strong. So I will let you know when I get ACS's response.

Totally 14 years. 1 year and a half is in Australia. I will have 3 years experience after my graduation date. 1,5 year is in Australia and 1,5 year is in Serbia. So with RPL I guess I can get 3+ years. The aim of all these rules including RPL are to determine the developers' experience. My reference letters are quite strong. So I will let you know when I get ACS's response.

3 years experience after graduation? That's not mathmatically possible considering you graduated in 2013, is it?

Anyway...

1.5 years in Oz = 5 points

1.5 years in Serbia = 0 points

You need at least 3 years experience outside Oz to gain minimum 5 points on that test. You can't add the two together (1.5 + 1.5 = 3) because you've already used your 1.5 years Oz experience.

Going back to the RPL, very rough math using month January as a guess...

Working since Jan 2001 for 8 years + RPL means your skill level requirement met date would be Jan 2009. Working in skilled employment since Jan 2009... 1 years 6 months in Oz (5 points) + 5 years 4 months (10 points) == 15 points.

It's highly likely that you'll need to do the RPL. Actually, ACS will probably just recognise your degree, and take that into account, and just give you a skill met date of $month 2013, not bothering to suggest you go down the RPL route -- which would mean you'd need 20 points from IELTS.

"not bothering to suggest you go down the RPL route" what do you mean by saying this? RPL shouldn't be too difficult to do?

I mean, if ACS decide that you have the skills with your degree, and can give you a skill met date (of 2013), then you may just get the letter saying you've passed and give you that skill met date.

The fact that you could get more points for the visa by going down the RPL route, isn't important to ACS. Their job isn't to give you points for the visa - it is solely to assess your skills given the information you provide to them.

I mean, if ACS decide that you have the skills with your degree, and can give you a skill met date (of 2013), then you may just get the letter saying you've passed and give you that skill met date.

The fact that you could get more points for the visa by going down the RPL route, isn't important to ACS. Their job isn't to give you points for the visa - it is solely to assess your skills given the information you provide to them.

Correct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My RPL is finally ready. Just wondering, I have a TAFE Diploma, Victoria University Diploma of IT, and ACS is saying that they recognised my qualification but they will deduct 8 years instead of 6 years!.. Why 6 years is not being cut off? Is there any link regarding this issue in ACS website?

My RPL is finally ready. Just wondering, I have a TAFE Diploma, Victoria University Diploma of IT, and ACS is saying that they recognised my qualification but they will deduct 8 years instead of 6 years!.. Why 6 years is not being cut off? Is there any link regarding this issue in ACS website?

Here's the ACS criteria summary: https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

They deduct 8 years if you don't have a diploma, but if they've recognised your diplomas it would appear there should be only 6 years deducted. I'd definitely question them on that.

I have emailed my concern & complain regarding 8 years to ACS two days ago then emailed my RPL project today. So I will be waiting my application result. Most likely they will correct their mistake.

Also is there any corporation in AU that I can complain the assessors work in ACS or any department in ACS? Can I re-apply? What I am thinking is they have to apply the rules that are written on their website.

Archived