Banks

Guest mort25

Guest mort25

Hi all!

Im sure this has been asked a million times but ......

Im looking at opening a bank account before I head out to Oz, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of what bank to use?

I will be based in WA if that makes much difference!

Thank you

Andy

Guest Pinhead

I've been with CBA for about 5 years with excellent service and no problems, they've also got atms / branches everywhere in Oz

Guest cazbeckham

BankWest will not let you open an account on line before you go. You have to actually go there in person to open an account, just checked it out.

So that is a bit of a nuisance............

Caz

Guest JoanneHattersley

Easy to do it here tho! All we needed was passport and address where we were staying!

I've been with CBA for about 5 years with excellent service and no problems, they've also got atms / branches everywhere in Oz

We arre with the Commonwealth as well don`t like the charges tho to get your money out and even get your balance but thats Oz kerchinngg

Malx

Guest BRAMBLE

Hi I am in the UK. I popped into my local HSBC nad set up a uk account with them and also one in Perth so that I can internet bank on both of them.

Sarah x

Guest mort25

I didnt know they had a branch in Perth, I will have to take a look at that then! Do they charge for services?

Hi I am in the UK. I popped into my local HSBC nad set up a uk account with them and also one in Perth so that I can internet bank on both of them.

Sarah x

Guest cazbeckham

Johatts

Yeah, once we know when we will be arriving you can arrange a meeting for us to set up current account and business account. We will need to see someone for both as the business one needs to be set up as we arrive, so an appointment will be necessary. Plus we still have to register the business name when we get there as well, so while your Dad is sleeping off his jet lag I can do all the internet stuff.

Caz

I didnt know they had a branch in Perth, I will have to take a look at that then! Do they charge for services?

Hi

I think they have one and if they are like the other banks charge you for getting your money out of other banks atms could be costly checked on website they have 1 in city 1 at booragoon

Malx

Guest Pinhead
We arre with the Commonwealth as well don`t like the charges tho to get your money out and even get your balance but thats Oz kerchinngg

Malx

I get free banking with CBA as I have over $20K in my accounts.

Guest BRISSYBOUND
Bankwest - most accounts have NO bank charges at all!

Bankwest,havn't heard of that one.Are all over Oz or just Queensland?

Guest JoanneHattersley
I get free banking with CBA as I have over $20K in my accounts.

Wish I had over $20k!!

Guest JoanneHattersley
Bankwest,havn't heard of that one.Are all over Oz or just Queensland?

ALl over Oz, mainly western Oz (HEnce the name Bankwest!!) but springing up everywhere!

Guest Rickard Family

Hi Andy, we are opening a account with HSBC and they said it would cost us £100 to set one up in Oz which we can do at the same time and then internet back if you qualify for the premium account there are no bank charges....just waiting for info on qualifying so will keep you posted.

Lou.

Guest mandy1

Hi

We are with Westpac. We set up an account beofre leaving the UK and then when we arrived in Perth we went in and completed the 100 point ID check. Its a basic account with internet access and debit cards and it works well for us.

Mandy x

Guest JoanneHattersley

The only reason that we left CBA was the bank charges. I suppose that was one of the plus sides of the UK. NO bank charges unless there was a specific need , like Overdraft or something!

Our bankwest account charges nothing. Only downside is the serious lack of branches but that will get better. Our nearest one is in Brisbane CBD.

Whats good for one person isnt necessarily good for another!!!

The only reason that we left CBA was the bank charges. I suppose that was one of the plus sides of the UK. NO bank charges unless there was a specific need , like Overdraft or something!

Our bankwest account charges nothing. Only downside is the serious lack of branches but that will get better. Our nearest one is in Brisbane CBD.

Whats good for one person isnt necessarily good for another!!!

Know what you mean about charges we had to cb accounts got a balance for each at an atm cost me $4 sorted that one found a cb atm tucked into a corner of the mall the bbbbb lighters

Malx

aka Bily nm

Guest JoanneHattersley

I got aggro at being charged a $1 to write a cheque!!!! I should be able to do what I want and when I want with my money!!!! LOL

Guest BRISSYBOUND

Do you need to go into your branch often in Oz,hardly ever go into branch here.Do everthing on the internet,do banks really charge for balance check and withdrawals at cash machines in Oz?

Guest mandy1

Hi

Yes they do! We get charged $1 if we get a balance receipt buit there is no charge just for withdrawing the cash out We rarely need to physically go into a branch either.We also tend to use the internet & telephone banking which are free & super-easy to use too. I think a lot of people compare the Oz way of banking with the supposedly 'free' banking in the UK. However if you think what the UK banks charge customers who go a few pence over their limit etc..it was not really a free system for most people.

Mandy x

Guest Pinhead

Also worth mentioning that payments made are transacted and arrive in the receivers account the same day. The UK is in the process of getting to this point but it seems to be taking ages!

Archived