GCSE help

Jilldesp

Hi,

has anyone returned to UK with a child who has missed UK year 10? Are they still able to do year 11 but perhaps take a reduced number of GCSE's and just do the essential ones? My son is currently doing an IGCSE in maths so I would be looking at him doing English, some sciences and ? Geography. At least enough to be able to do A Levels.

Has anyone been in this situation before I'm worried sick about it. Just not sure but may have to return to UK next May.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. X

It would be tricky for him, but not impossible with the right support. I agree that the best thing would be to start in year 10 if you can find somewhere that would let him do that (the state system here is less flexible than Australia's, but there are schools where he'd be allowed to do it).

The other possible option would be for him to take them at an adult learning centre, although I'm not sure what the rules are for under 18s, or maybe a further education college, rather than a school. I know several people who didn't do well in their first round of gcses who then moved to an fe college to retake. He could then stay on at the college for A levels, or anything else he wanted to do (Btecs etc). Maybe look at the websites for those closest to where to might be living and chat with the admissions people/lecturers.

Our middle daughter had to move school (within the UK) for year 11. All the exam boards were different, so effectively did hers in one year, although she did have a grounding in the subjects.

She dropped one because there was no way she'd have been able to adapt what she'd been learning and she did English Language after school one day a week (her previous school had done Literature in year 10, Lang in year 11. Her new school was the other way around).

She had to change from iGCSE maths to gcse which was quite a difference and the school had to give support for her continuing with textiles within their art dept as it wasn't a course they offered at gcse. It was hard work, but she was fine.

You know your son best. Would he be able to cope with the amount of work and self direction he'd need? Our daughter had to spend a lot of time working in her own in the library in her own time. She had to be confident to go and seek help from her teachers when she needed it rather than wait for them to come to her. Would he do that?

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know). When you start to look at options you realise there are many ways to move forward, they may not be as straightforward as you hoped, but there's always a way to get to where you want to be.

Hi thanks for the advice. He is not keen at all in going back a year, and I don't think all school boards allow that?! I was hoping he could do 4 in year 11 as he will hopefully have his IGCSE in maths, then pick up a few more along side A-levels. I just don't want to ruin his chances any more than I feel I may have done:(

Academically there's no reason at all why he couldn't do four in one year if he's an able boy. The problem will come with time tabling issues. In theory he could attend year 10 and 11 lessons for his subjects, but it's unlikely that it would work with the timetable of lessons. Try asking some schools in the area you're looking at what their policies are. Some will be more willing and able to accommodate him than others. You'd want one where the teachers are prepared to give him the extra support he'd need, so if a school doesn't seem keen, then you wouldn't want him there anyway.

If he's really set on not 'repeating' year 10 (although depending on when his birthday falls, he could be in that year anyway. Our middle one went from mid year 8 in the UK to the beginning of year 7 in Sydney, different country, different year levels. The UK also goes to year 13 instead of year 12, so he wouldn't really be repeating anything), then a college might be the way to go.

There's always a way forward - it might not be ideal, but it is doable.

Academically there's no reason at all why he couldn't do four in one year if he's an able boy. The problem will come with time tabling issues. In theory he could attend year 10 and 11 lessons for his subjects, but it's unlikely that it would work with the timetable of lessons. Try asking some schools in the area you're looking at what their policies are. Some will be more willing and able to accommodate him than others. You'd want one where the teachers are prepared to give him the extra support he'd need, so if a school doesn't seem keen, then you wouldn't want him there anyway.

If he's really set on not 'repeating' year 10 (although depending on when his birthday falls, he could be in that year anyway. Our middle one went from mid year 8 in the UK to the beginning of year 7 in Sydney, different country, different year levels. The UK also goes to year 13 instead of year 12, so he wouldn't really be repeating anything), then a college might be the way to go.

There's always a way forward - it might not be ideal, but it is doable.

Thank you! I feel a bit better. He should be in year 10 now in UK so might pick up the last bit of that year to then start year 11 nxt September!

i will discuss with his previous school nearer the time. Hopefully they will be amenable! Thanks again x

Thank you! I feel a bit better. He should be in year 10 now in UK so might pick up the last bit of that year to then start year 11 nxt September!

i will discuss with his previous school nearer the time. Hopefully they will be amenable! Thanks again x

Will he be looking at going back to a school he's previously been at? If so, you could ask them which exam boards they follow for the subjects he wants to do and get the study guides (and any texts he might need for English) so he can work through them.

Our eldest did that for Spanish. She wanted to take a second language for A level and her new school said that if she could get to the required level over the summer holiday they'd let her take it (she hadn't taken it previously). They sent her text books and other study material and we bought her a language course cd set. She managed fine and was able to take it for A level without having the gcse.

She also missed the first term of her gcse courses because we were in Australia. There was quite a bit of catching up to do, but she managed fine (she's naturally academic though, so it might be tougher for those who find school hard work).

If you think coming back is inevitable, could you (or him in his own to start with) come back sooner than next summer? The earlier you get here, the easier it'll be for him to adapt and catch up.

Do look at all the alternatives. Honestly, there are lots of ways to get to where he wants to be without going down the usual routes. Hopefully, others who have been through it will see your thread and be able to advise you from their experiences too.

Good luck!

Will he be looking at going back to a school he's previously been at? If so, you could ask them which exam boards they follow for the subjects he wants to do and get the study guides (and any texts he might need for English) so he can work through them.

Our eldest did that for Spanish. She wanted to take a second language for A level and her new school said that if she could get to the required level over the summer holiday they'd let her take it (she hadn't taken it previously). They sent her text books and other study material and we bought her a language course cd set. She managed fine and was able to take it for A level without having the gcse.

She also missed the first term of her gcse courses because we were in Australia. There was quite a bit of catching up to do, but she managed fine (she's naturally academic though, so it might be tougher for those who find school hard work).

If you think coming back is inevitable, could you (or him in his own to start with) come back sooner than next summer? The earlier you get here, the easier it'll be for him to adapt and catch up.

Do look at all the alternatives. Honestly, there are lots of ways to get to where he wants to be without going down the usual routes. Hopefully, others who have been through it will see your thread and be able to advise you from their experiences too.

Good luck![/QUOTe

Great, thanks for the advice! Good idea re exam board, I'll do that! Jill