ENS PR (186) - Two Questions

benz88

Hello,

I was hoping to get the thoughts of the forum. I’ll be going for a ENS PR (186 visa) and have two questions I’m trying to answer:

1. Should I get a migration agent or not (I believe my application is really straight forward). I’m getting quotes of over $4k and $5k to manage the process for me.

2. Should I wait for the Transition scheme or go for the Direct entry scheme.

Here are my circumstances:

• Work for a big multi-national firm who already have migration service providers to do their work for the nomination

• I am currently 6 months on my 457, and will have obviously have to wait 1.5 years to go through the transition scheme

• I hold a Canadian passport (so no language assessment) - I did live in the UK though, so I love you poms :)

• No criminal record

• No health problems

• Profession will be under “Management Consultant – 224711” as per VETASSESS (should I choose Direct entry scheme)

• I have 8+ years of direct management consulting experience working for management consulting firms (so there’s no stretch of showing direct and relevant experience)

Hope you can help!

benz88

Hi,

I would advise that you go for the Direct Entry PR, if you are eligible. The Vetassess skill assessment requires a degree, and a given number of years of work experience (depending on the relevance of the degree). The 186 visa application requires at least three years post-qual work experience.

The Direct Entry will cost a bit more, given the skill assessment, but leaves you less vulnerable to Immigration changes (or a company downturn and possible redundancy on your 457 visa in the coming 18 months).

If you are choosing an agent, do you research in terms of their reputation online, experience and see if they offer a No Visa, No Fee. True Blue's fee to manage your case would be under $4K.

Joy

@wrussell - they will just push their services. "Go with us no matter what. Spend the money" I want to get some independent thoughts.

@Joy Hay - good points. In terms of VETASSESS, I know they have an advisory service which can make some commentary around my profile. I'll also try that. My biggest issue is possibly not passing the assessment. I have no idea how hard it is to pass in this specific profession. Re: agents, thanks I'll start looking. I think $5k+ is a bit too much.

I think the first question is whether the employer is willing and able to sponsor you on a 186 visa, either TRT or DE. If they are, are they willing to do a DE nomination now, or would they insist on waiting until the TRT is an option.

If they're flexible, you could always see if the DE nomination is approved and see if you get a successful skills assessment. If both go through, then lodge your visa application. If one or the other (nomination/assessment) isn't successful, you know that TRT is your only option. The employer would have 18 months to sort through whatever prevented the nomination, and you wouldn't need the assessment.

Thanks MaggieMay. Very good point. Doing the skills assessment before lodging an application is a very low risk method. It just becomes a matter of cost. I think you've pretty much answered my questions! If I pass the skills assessment (which I see as the most difficult step), then I don't think I'll be getting an agent as the rest of my application should be straightforward. That's my initial thought, but comfortable with that one for now.

In terms of your question, yes the company should be willing to sponsor. From my understanding, it's more about cost to them (which is nothing really to them) for either path. Again, from my understanding, in terms of employer/sponsor obligations, they should already be meeting them as they constantly move/hire people from abroad as its a large multi-national.

Archived