Teachers: getting paid over christmas

gloucester girl

Hello! I was just wondering if there are any teachers who have taught temporarily then been made permanent - did you get paid for the holiday between the end of the temporary contract and start of the permanent? Basically I have been working term 4 and will be made permanent starting from term 1 next year. Obviously I would like to get paid for the summer holidays, or at least most of the them. My school can be a bit dodgy - in fact when I got the job offer, one member of staff said "congratulations - now join a union" (!). But a job is a job and I like the kids and the school, even if the management are to be treated with caution.

Hello! I was just wondering if there are any teachers who have taught temporarily then been made permanent - did you get paid for the holiday between the end of the temporary contract and start of the permanent? Basically I have been working term 4 and will be made permanent starting from term 1 next year. Obviously I would like to get paid for the summer holidays, or at least most of the them. My school can be a bit dodgy - in fact when I got the job offer, one member of staff said "congratulations - now join a union" (!). But a job is a job and I like the kids and the school, even if the management are to be treated with caution.

My other half is a teacher in a prep-9 in Melbourne. He arrived in August 2013 and quickly found CRT work and started doing a couple of days a week in his current school which was brand new so recruiting lots of teachers at the time. He was offered a permenant role just before Christmas commencing in January, he originally tuned it down because it wasn't quite what he was looking for, at which point they offered to pay him over Xmas if he accepted, which he couldn't turn down because that wasn't going to happen on CRT. It does happen but I think it's very very rare.

Not normally no, that's because the permanent position starts after the holidays and not before.

Archived