Partner visa de facto from UK - no joint finances

bonanza

'Obviously if I had children from a previous arrangement, I would make provision for them, but I would also provide for my spouse. You see determined to keep your spouse as a separate entity nothing to do with you, as such, I fwil to see how you could possibly qualify as a defacto couple. You are dating.'

NO, we just never needed to have any joint accounts. I provide for my partner all the time. He is a beneficiary of my will. I suppose one option is to just go and change the utility bills into his name, which is a totally contrived thing to do, transfer a load of money backwards and forwards, equally contrived, and wait another 11 months.

It is not all about joint accounts, as you have been told several times. I didn't see the need for a joint account with my husband for several years and in fact we dont have one at the moment. It is about joint finances, not joint accounts. Whereas your reasoning expressed on this thread, has all the hallmarks of a temporary coupling. Married people have joint finances. They do not take steps to keep "their estates separate". The estates of married couples are linked.

You need to prove to immigration that you are to all intents and purposes a married couple. You seem to be doing the opposite.

It is not all about joint accounts, as you have been told several times. I didn't see the need for a joint account with my husband for several years and in fact we dont have one at the moment. It is about joint finances, not joint accounts. Whereas your reasoning expressed on this thread, has all the hallmarks of a temporary coupling. Married people have joint finances. They do not take steps to keep "their estates separate". The estates of married couples are linked.

You need to prove to immigration that you are to all intents and purposes a married couple. You seem to be doing the opposite.

My parents have been married for nearly 50 years and have always had seperate finances and have gone to great lengths to keep their estates seperate for various reasons. It doesn't make them any less married. Just because some people don't want to become joined at the hip financially doesn't mean they are any less committed to each other. Plus the OP is supporting their OH financially, which says pretty committed to me (or stupid, but I'm going with committed - a bit like when one partner supports a stay at home parent).

'Obviously if I had children from a previous arrangement, I would make provision for them, but I would also provide for my spouse. You see determined to keep your spouse as a separate entity nothing to do with you, as such, I fwil to see how you could possibly qualify as a defacto couple. You are dating.'

NO, we just never needed to have any joint accounts. I provide for my partner all the time. He is a beneficiary of my will. I suppose one option is to just go and change the utility bills into his name, which is a totally contrived thing to do, transfer a load of money backwards and forwards, equally contrived, and wait another 11 months.

You don't need to do that. You do have joint finances, you just don't have joint accounts. When one partner works and the other doesn't then the working partner pays for everything. In your case your OH works but most of the money is going to their child. Does your OH contribute anything financially to the partnership? If not then does your OH contribute in other ways, ie domestically doing jobs around the house etc? You know your relationship is genuine and continuing all you have to do is convince immigration that it is. If the relationship is one sided financially then you need to explain why this is and how things balance out in other ways.

My parents have been married for nearly 50 years and have always had seperate finances and have gone to great lengths to keep their estates seperate for various reasons. It doesn't make them any less married. Just because some people don't want to become joined at the hip financially doesn't mean they are any less committed to each other. Plus the OP is supporting their OH financially, which says pretty committed to me (or stupid, but I'm going with committed - a bit like when one partner supports a stay at home parent).

I don't think my partner and I are unique - this is a situation which is increasingly common - you get widowed or divorced in mid life, then find someone new (luckily) but have a whole bunch of pre-existing assets and liabilities or conversely none. I prefer the committed rather than stupid assessment. obviously!

My parents have been married for nearly 50 years and have always had seperate finances and have gone to great lengths to keep their estates seperate for various reasons. It doesn't make them any less married.

Your parents are in the fortunate position of not having to prove their marriage to an official in DIBP. One of the sad realities of the visa system is that, to an extent, you have to jump to the DIBP tune, fit in with their timings and do things their way.

Archived