shipping staffy from northern ireland

lookingforsun

Hello,

We hope to emmigrate to Perth in Sept 2016. We have a two year old staffy and I am wondering if I am best getting him transported from Dublin rather than having the additional cost of door to door service with an English company?

Has anybody shipped their pet from Dublin or recommend any companies?

Also can I drop my dog off at Dublin and then have him transported from Melbourne quarentine to our new home in Perth all as one package?

I also read that some air lines don't transport dogs if the temperature is too high? Would we be better changing our proposed moving date to July in order to make it a more comfortable flight for the dog?

Hope someone can help with my many questions!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

You will need to source a pet shipper that is based in Dublin to arrange this for you. You may find looking at the following website handy as it allows you to search for registered pet shippers based all around the world - http://www.ipata.org. Alternatively we have worked closely with the following company for different pet moves, so they may be able to assist - www.efl.ie.

I am sure they would be able to create a package for you to meet a representative at the airport on departure day as this is something that is easily arranged if departing from a London airport. When pets arrive they will go to the quarantine station in Melbourne, complete their stay and then they can be flown on to their final destiantion afterwards. This is often something an owner will arrange directly or you may find the company you use in the UK can arrange this on your behalf. Should you contact someone directly then Dogtainers are fabulous with the pets and would be able to provide this sort of service for you.

The temperature restrictions tend to apply for pets that fall in to the snubbed nosed category. IE Bulldogs, Pugs, Pekingese etc. However the climate is a lot different in Australia to what it is here so where possible you may wish to plan your move during the cooler months.

Hi there

We are using Pets by Plane to take our little Jack Russell direct from Glasgow via Dubai into Melbourne, They have arranged everything including the onward flight for him to Perth after quarantine. Never any issues with temperature he is flying start of January. Martin has been really helpful with everything

Hi there

We are using Pets by Plane to take our little Jack Russell direct from Glasgow via Dubai into Melbourne, They have arranged everything including the onward flight for him to Perth after quarantine. Never any issues with temperature he is flying start of January. Martin has been really helpful with everything

Just keep in mind the temp in Aus in January and be prepared for your little one to take his walks very early in the morning and late in the evening as often its so hot in the day (and past 8am till 10pm even some days) that walking them then is unkind. And the ground can burn their feet long after the sun has gone off it if its been a really sunny hot day. I prefer early morning 6-7am walks with mine then a run in the evening about 8pm.

Just keep in mind the temp in Aus in January and be prepared for your little one to take his walks very early in the morning and late in the evening as often its so hot in the day (and past 8am till 10pm even some days) that walking them then is unkind. And the ground can burn their feet long after the sun has gone off it if its been a really sunny hot day. I prefer early morning 6-7am walks with mine then a run in the evening about 8pm.

We are the same. He goes out about 6am and then as the sun is going down. He wouldn't go out at other times.

Thanks for advice, I've requested some quotes.

However, my husband is very reluctant to

bring the dog. Today we visited a couple who are very keen to rehome him, they are lovely and undoubtedly would give him all the attention he needs. Part of me thinks this may be the best option for him as he wouldn't have to go through the journey or adjust to new climate etc.

Do do most dogs settle into Australia well and manage with journey and changes well?

worried the journey may negatively effect him and he won't be the same dog?

We took our cocker many years ago and he was fine Quarantine was 3 months back then and we didn't see him as he was in Sydney and we were in Adelaide He was in really good condition when he got to Adelaide had been well looked after and happy to see us He did for a while refuse to go outside without one of us with him gues he didn't want us out of sight again

Many people ship their dogs without issue. A few may have problems for one reason or another but most seem to come out of it ok.

Its us that over think it all and fret and worry. Dogs live in the moment.

Lots of pets fly really nicely and cope really well, but often i do think the very best option is for the pets to stay in UK as long as you know they are going to be equally spoilt with their new families. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is reasonable advice. If you have to put them in a rescue home and they take their chances then no way - that is a rubbish option.

We get so many stories of people who had a home lined up for their pets and then at the last minute when push really comes to shove they are let down and the pets are stuck in UK for ages waiting for their rabies work - so if you are thinking of leaving your pets in UK, then make sure you get the rabies vaccine and rabies blood sample done, so that if you are let down, the pets are ready to go sooner rather than having to start the 7 month process from the very beginning.

Having said that - very many pets fly very well.

Difficult decisions ahead :)

Archived