Hairdressers Moving To Wa

a&s

Hi guys,

just to let you hairdressers know who are moving to wa only, and those of you who intend to carry on your occupation, you WILL have to sit the exams before you can be registerd to work within wa...

I had put my application in and had a letter back on friday to say i had to sit these exams, so me being me i phoned them up and asked how they placed this on all the evidence i have given with my visa application and reg application, and after much debate with them she told me that overseas certificates mean nothing!!!!!!!!!!! I have twentyone yrs experince, and i haven,t met or spoke to anyone who has been lucky enough to get away with it... If anyone knows of anyone i would be interested!!! But i think with all the visa changes of september the exams might have to be taken back home first, and that's where the vet comes in...

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi guys,

just to let you hairdressers know who are moving to wa only, and those of you who intend to carry on your occupation, you WILL have to sit the exams before you can be registerd to work within wa...

I had put my application in and had a letter back on friday to say i had to sit these exams, so me being me i phoned them up and asked how they placed this on all the evidence i have given with my visa application and reg application, and after much debate with them she told me that overseas certificates mean nothing!!!!!!!!!!! I have twentyone yrs experince, and i haven,t met or spoke to anyone who has been lucky enough to get away with it... If anyone knows of anyone i would be interested!!! But i think with all the visa changes of september the exams might have to be taken back home first, and that's where the vet comes in...

hi alex

I am a hairdresser going to wa, with 16 years experince.we have just submitted our visa, with it all in my name,because of my quilifications, so i have been through the tra ,so would i still need to do a test?and do you know what sort of test?.

you say we can do it in england do you know a contact to how i go about it.

thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa,

if you have already sent your visa off and had done your skill trade through tra and not vetessa (don't know if spelt right) then i am afraid you will have to put in your registration of $128.00, then wait for a yes or no then put in for the theroy exam @ $70.50, then if you pass that you put in for the practical (of which you have to find your own models, produts & eqipment) @ $204.00 then if you pass that you get your rego card and you have to renew it every Jan @ a cost, of which i am not sure of...

Your certificates and knowledge of 16 yrs mean nothing... I have nearly 21 yrs, and was told by the board that overseas certs mean nothing, and i have heard of someone of 26 yrs and they still had to do it...

These exams can only be took in the uk through vetessa...

All i can say is as soon as you get here start applying at the hairdressers board as it all takes time, and although we have savings they don't last long, as my oh has had trouble finding work...

Good Luck...

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

Hey Guys I found this post really interesting cos last week I went to get my hair done at a different salon and ended up getting it done by a welsh lady !! Whoo hoo an UK hairdresser who actually knows that a trim is and not a short back and sides !!!

Anyway, this lass came over on her hairdressing qualificatin ie: 136 skilled visa 6 months ago and she was telling me that she has to sit her registration to work here, she needs to do a cut and blow dry a colour, a perm on medium length hair and a set too, plus she needs to find her own models and the models have to pay !!! She is really struggling to find a model who wants a perm and she is also panicking about doing tests again cos as like you guys she has had her qualification years, owned her own salon and she never knew these tests were needed, apparently its only WA who insist on them too !!!! Let us know how you get on !!!!

Hey Guys I found this post really interesting cos last week I went to get my hair done at a different salon and ended up getting it done by a welsh lady !! Whoo hoo an UK hairdresser who actually knows that a trim is and not a short back and sides !!!

Anyway, this lass came over on her hairdressing qualificatin ie: 136 skilled visa 6 months ago and she was telling me that she has to sit her registration to work here, she needs to do a cut and blow dry a colour, a perm on medium length hair and a set too, plus she needs to find her own models and the models have to pay !!! She is really struggling to find a model who wants a perm and she is also panicking about doing tests again cos as like you guys she has had her qualification years, owned her own salon and she never knew these tests were needed, apparently its only WA who insist on them too !!!! Let us know how you get on !!!!

Hi

On a slight tangent to yor thread ladies but m ost qualifications and work related licences mean naff all here, on a hairdressing note whenn oh drags me shoppin round centres etc its like tv show life on Mars but the 80`s with the advertisements in the salon expect to here Duran Duran top of charts mind you here they probably here:biglaugh:

Malx

aka Billy NM

this is so weird im a hairdresser of 18yrs its not the exams that worry me its the give us more money.....all the time , so we have to pay to get there then pay to re train hmmmmm, thought they really wanted uk hairdressers and i would love to know the standard of the exams sheesh sets !!?? thats a scary thought , and perms are so dated any way, i get the colouring cutting etc please give feed back on this thread! how about if your mobile do you still have to do the exams/ do you need permits? have to say the thoiught of a theory exam fills me with horror never have been any good with those, no pressure hey new country , etc......arghhh

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

Hi Sharon,

As I said I am only repeating what my hairdresser told me, but she was considering maybe going mobile aswell as working 3 days in the salon and whether you are "going it alone " you would still need to be registered and be able to show your work permit as and when requested. I dont know if its the same in other states of Oz but here in WA you seem to need a licence for almost everything !

The exam is multiple choice though Deb told me that she isnt too worried about it but has to learn about the new products here as its different than the UK, she is confident tho, good luck all you hairdressers out there !!!

Sian xxx++++++

Guest lisaandnigel

hi

so from ready this the welsh lady was still working without a registration?

so working for someone do you need a licence?

lisa

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi Lisa,

if you have already sent your visa off and had done your skill trade through tra and not vetessa (don't know if spelt right) then i am afraid you will have to put in your registration of $128.00, then wait for a yes or no then put in for the theroy exam @ $70.50, then if you pass that you put in for the practical (of which you have to find your own models, produts & eqipment) @ $204.00 then if you pass that you get your rego card and you have to renew it every Jan @ a cost, of which i am not sure of...

Your certificates and knowledge of 16 yrs mean nothing... I have nearly 21 yrs, and was told by the board that overseas certs mean nothing, and i have heard of someone of 26 yrs and they still had to do it...

These exams can only be took in the uk through vetessa...

All i can say is as soon as you get here start applying at the hairdressers board as it all takes time, and although we have savings they don't last long, as my oh has had trouble finding work...

Good Luck...

hi alex thanks for information, its all money money,i have a feeling we went through the vetassess, when it changed in september ,would this make a difference?

lisa

hi sian , im pleased i found this site its great to know these things, best to get the shocks this end than a bolt from the blue the other! so to speak, yes i think its gonna be ok if not then its a new career for me lol. think from what ive been told most of the products are world wide any way, we use ameriacan stuff where i work here in the uk!, i see you live in port kennedy , my family live in baldivis, thats near i think to you , are you happy there? my head is saying the hills kalamunda but where you are keeps popping in too, thanks for reply's by the way any more info please keep us posted!

Lisa, if you went through Vet and you had to do peoples hair in front of an examier, then you are fine, but by the sounds of things you didn't, so you will still have to do it here in wa...

The Welsh lady would have a Authorithy To Work Permit, which you have to apply for, BUT the hardest thing is finding a salon who are prepared to take you on without registration,and are prepared to put the salons reputation on the line... Cause with this you have to be supervised... So again certs and exper mean noyhing here...

Guest lisaandnigel
Lisa, if you went through Vet and you had to do peoples hair in front of an examier, then you are fine, but by the sounds of things you didn't, so you will still have to do it here in wa...

The Welsh lady would have a Authorithy To Work Permit, which you have to apply for, BUT the hardest thing is finding a salon who are prepared to take you on without registration,and are prepared to put the salons reputation on the line... Cause with this you have to be supervised... So again certs and exper mean noyhing here...

hi

No i didnt have to do anyones hair, do you know where and how i apply for a wor permit to work in a salon.

thanks lisa

It all sounds very easy, but don't expect to get a job sraight away... There are plenty but wa is a large area... Not many salon owners/managers are prepared to take on straight away without the proper paper work...

I was one of the lucky ones...

• 2 weeks later...

hi there alex, congratulations! when you have more time write to us and let us know what it entailed, was it easy to organize etc!? have you done two sections , was it easy to get to the place its held etc any info gratefully recieved, all the best!

The place was easy cause i had satnav, but as you will see from the address you gave in a earlier post it is Wembley which isn't far from the city...

The exam was on perming, colouring, bleaching & health & saftey... Usally you are told in the post if you have failed or passed but they marked it and took me to another room and told me what i failed on, and i new which ones as i wrote them on my hand for the next time i took the exam, but i was very lucky to pass and he commented on how many fail this test...

GOOD LUCK to all wa hairdressers who have to take this exam, you will need it...

Archived