Brisbane bound in November!!!

emcgiv

Hi guys! After what feels like the longest most stressful year of our lives. Myself (Elaine) my husband (Paul) and our 3 year old daughter (Mirrin) have finally booked our flights to make the big move in November on a PR 189 visa. We are relocating to North Lakes, due to the location of my job, from Scotland. Wondering if there are any other families in the same position as ourselves, or who have made the move! Would love to hear from you and any hear tips that you can offer for us in our first months in Australia!! :smile:

There are loads of UK families in North Lakes. I am told that it has a real community spirit. It is a great location for getting up to the Sunshine Coast, which is beautiful.

Would suggest that you identify all the admin jobs you need to do - ATO, driving licence, Medicare and get those done as soon as you arrive so that out of the way and you can concentrate on settling in.

We found people to be incredibly friendly and it isn't unusual to get invited to bbqs with folks you have just met. Accept all invites!

See lots of posts about car purchases. Not sure what you have in mind but would suggest that you don't jump on the band wagon of a brand new 4 x 4. Australian cars last much longer than cars in UK so second hand with highish mileage is fine while you find your feet. You don't need a huge Patrol unless you are going to be living on Fraser!

Good luck with the move.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Elaine, Paul & Mirrin

We arrived in November, too (but a few years back). It's exciting, scary, amazing & tearful. After all, you'll be changing everything you know & literally starting again. But it's not all bad news! Just be prepared to be kind to yourselves as you adjust & learn where things are, how things are done and where to find things (it ain't UK).

We're at Murrumba Downs, just over the Highway from North Lakes, so PM me when you get here and we'll arrange to have a cuppa & a chat & we'll help where we can.

OH & I arrange 3-monthly get-togethers for recently arrived migrants and there'll be one in December, probably at a beach nearby with lots of shade! We'll also have one in January, to help people over the first Christmas or three away from families & the usual networks & that'll be back at Aurora Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (the usual spot).

Agree with Peachy: accept all invites & you don't have to buy an expensive Toyota Landcruiser/Nissan Patrol 4x4 to get around (the roads are sealed!) because the bigger the cylinders, the higher the registration (and maintenance). (Fraser Island is all sand - no roads - so the only vehicle one can use is a 'beefy' 4x4 that will handle driving on sand.)

Do you have a rental arranged in North Lakes or will you be looking once you get here?

Good luck in the count-down.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your replies & advice! Sorry for the lateness in my reply the past few weeks have been extremely busy with finishing work, settling up etc! Only 13 days left now until we leave the UK...very exciting but scary times!! PatW that would be lovely...thank you so much for the offer ill be sure to PM you once we arrive. Do you have many families attend your get togethers?? Whata great thing to do! We don't have any rental at the minute, we have just organised a holiday let for our first 6 weeks so hoping to get something during that time. Thank you again for your help :)

Good luck. My hubby and I both liked that area when we looked a few years ago. Really liked new estate at mango hill. But his family at Victoria point (se of Brisbane) and his brother in spring mountain (sw of Brisbane) so decided to go south of Brisbane xx

Hello Nicola, Chris and Reuben

Now long to go now!

Once you're close to arriving, PM me and we'll arrange to have a cuppa & a natter about what's next. As Peachy said earlier in this thread, you'll have to arrange tax file numbers (TFNs) via the ATO (Australian Taxation Office), Medicare registration (Oz version of the NHS), Centrelink and driving licences (within the first 3 months), mobile/s provider and I guess a vehicle/s. Will you arrange a holiday rental for the first few weeks? Any idea of what area? Where will either of you be working & at what? Lots to chat about!

We'll be having a get-together in March at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes and a date will be decided once we've had the January one.

Feel free to ask questions even before you get here.

HI emcgiv, we arrived from wales 2 days ago, (myself, husband and 6yr old daughter) like you, life was supernova crazy in the last few weeks in uk, getting house ready for rental, finishing work and saying good buys etc. (We also had a nightmare 3 years of visa stress which wore us out completely so can sympathise with stresses!) It's a massive move and I think maybe too big really for my brain to fully compute.. yet, but so far, no regrets! We have given ourselves 3 weeks of travelling city, sunshine coast and south/bayside areas to get ourselves orientated and hopefully find a place to call home. It's been an anxious time, but I am delighted we are here! Everyone is really friendly and helpfull. The city is gorgeous.. and WAY warmer than scotland!! ☺ (my mum is scottish and we have spent many a happy holiday with family up there!) We are hoping also to attend Patw's get togethers and so will maybe meet you there! Try not to worry and enjoy as much as you can.. moving house/world's IS stressfull.. so go with flow and accept change to be part of bigger picture! The forum is amazing for support.. you are not alone.. just shout and someone will help I'm sure! Best of luck with transit.. you'll be settled in no time I'm sure! X

Hello Dizzy & family

Welcome to Queensland!

Have fun with travelling over the next 3 weeks to find out where you want to be based. I guess it'll also depend on where work will be - you don't want to be travelling an hour or more each way each day - it's more fun to be home for longer rather than sitting in a traffic jam, not to mention the expense on your vehicle/s and wear & tear on you.

Happy to meet with you for a cuppa and a natter when you're ready and the December get-together will be a good chance to meet others who have been through the same in the past couple of years. It'll be from 6.30am ('cos we have to be there that early to grab a spot so you can come along for breakfast if you want) at Sutton's Beach (just south of Redcliffe) til you have to go (but most go once it's dark, which will be 7pm this time of year). BYO food, drinks, chairs, hats, sunscreen, togs/swimmers/bathers (or any other name that applies!) on Saturday 19th December. There are free electric bbqs if you want to cook. Also a take-away & ice cream shop a few yards away.

Look forward to meeting you.

Many thanks PatW, looking forward to it! will be in touch re: coffee! ☕ HUGE Thanks for the advice, support and hospitality! Sunshine coast adventures start tom.. happy days eh! X

Hey guys, we are looking to escape Canberra and no matter what people say about it, it is probably the most unsocial place in Australia. Living here now for some 2 years, we feel that we have paid our duties and fulfilled our 2 years obligation of state sponsorship. Anyhow, the lack of appropriate jobs for immigrants had us working in and out casual jobs and that have eaten up all of our reserves and even a bit more.

But if we stay longer, we feel that we will never get out of here. Any pointers or advice on job prospects? We found employment agencies and even seek.com.au useless. At least in Canberra - what matters is who you know, but that is not really helpful for newbies is it?

Hello Nicola, Chris and Reuben

Now long to go now!

Once you're close to arriving, PM me and we'll arrange to have a cuppa & a natter about what's next. As Peachy said earlier in this thread, you'll have to arrange tax file numbers (TFNs) via the ATO (Australian Taxation Office), Medicare registration (Oz version of the NHS), Centrelink and driving licences (within the first 3 months), mobile/s provider and I guess a vehicle/s. Will you arrange a holiday rental for the first few weeks? Any idea of what area? Where will either of you be working & at what? Lots to chat about!

We'll be having a get-together in March at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes and a date will be decided once we've had the January one.

Feel free to ask questions even before you get here.

Hi PatW

Thank you I will be definitely be taking you up on that cuppa and Thank you for the advice. We have secured a holiday rental for 4 weeks. I do hope we find a place to settle and work in that time. Chris works in the engineering industry and I have two jobs here I'm a hairdresser and estate agent. We will go where Chris finds work hopefully, we're open minded about where to live any advice off anyone would be great.

Looking forward to the get together in March :cute:

• 2 months later...

Hi to everyone on this thread,

We arrived at the end of November from the UK and were luck enough to study with my brother near the city until we secured a rental in NL. We are really keen to meet new people and have already made contact with a family on this thread (Elaine). She has told me about the meet up at Aurora Blvd park on the 30th and we would love to pop along. Hope this is ok PatW? Looking forward to meeting everyone

Hi PatW

Thank you I will be definitely be taking you up on that cuppa and Thank you for the advice. We have secured a holiday rental for 4 weeks. I do hope we find a place to settle and work in that time. Chris works in the engineering industry and I have two jobs here I'm a hairdresser and estate agent. We will go where Chris finds work hopefully, we're open minded about where to live any advice off anyone would be great.

Looking forward to the get together in March :cute:

What type of place do you like Nicola...do you have any must-haves ? Will your husband most likely be commuting to the city centre ?

Hello Claire & Chris

Congrats on getting your rental. Do you have furniture/household stuff or are you waiting for your container to come? If you need things, PM me and we'll see what we can do to get you through.

Glad to hear you've already made contact with someone else and yes the next get-together will be this Saturday, 30th Jan, from 2pm til you have to go, at the Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (the big one at the roundabout). BYO food, drinks, etc. and be prepared for a hot day (about 34C), possibly showery, although we aim to get a table/chairs/bbq set up that has cover (called a 'shelter shed').

See you then.

What kind of engineering work? If you're able to come this Saturday to the get-together at Aurora Boulevard Park, North Lakes, there are a couple of people it might be useful for you to talk to. And one of the ladies is a hairdresser, so that could help, too.

Archived