Moving December 2015

Lizzie0309

Well I had my 189 visa granted last week we have booked flights for dec 15 moving with my 6 year old and 3 year old just wondering if anyone can give me the heads up/ what to expect moving to freshwater cairns , never been . Lol . So nervous don't know what to expect really ?

Well I had my 189 visa granted last week we have booked flights for dec 15 moving with my 6 year old and 3 year old just wondering if anyone can give me the heads up/ what to expect moving to freshwater cairns , never been . Lol . So nervous don't know what to expect really ?

LOL indeed!!

Christmas in Cairns will be hot, humid and barmy. Completely different to Cambridge :)

http://www.cairns-tourism.com.au/cairns-weather.html

I have never been to the suburb Freshwater, but looks like you are fairly close to Cairns CBD by car. Well 15 mins by car and 30 mins by bus. So I hope you have transport otherwise you may find yourself a bit isolated.

Don't swim in the sea or inland rivers due to crocodiles, sharks, stingers and snakes.

Otherwise Far North Queensland is a lovely place and hopefully you will love it!?

The Atherton Tablelands with the billy train, waterfalls, markets and little villages is a gorgeous place to explore nearby.

So is Cape Tribulation and The Daintree; but Cape Trib is normally impassable in the wet.

As others have said it will be HOT and sticky. Mozzies are an issue so make sure you cover up especially around dusk and if you dont have fly screens you will need to get mozzie nets to hang over the beds. Mozzie bite like midges, and itch but some can also carry quite a nasty illness like ross river fever and denge fever. Get mozzie repelant from the chemist.

It is also cyclone season not trying to concern you, but it is best to be prepared so have a look at the council web site http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/community-environment/natural-disasters. When buying or renting ask about cyclone rating on the building. All new building must be cyclone rated, just the older home that you need to check.

Hi Lizzie

I live in Cairns at the Northern Beaches, I`ve never been to Freshwater so can`t comment on area. We moved here from UK Ocotober 2014 (11 months) The heat was not a problem to us, we love it. Mozzie bites and sand fly bites are a bitch! my hubby never gets bit but me and my children do (me the most). You can swim in the ocean everyone does it (Just don`t swim at night) and stinger season swim in the nets or just stay away until stinger season is over. Are you coming just you and the children? have you got work sorted? It will be cyclone season then, Last Christmas there was a cyclone headed our way and everyone was so chilled they were like the mountains protect us it will hit further south it it`s going to hit, they said the reef slows cyclones down so by the time they get to land it`s just strong winds. I have screens on my windows I always make sure the doors are closed to make sure no spiders get through open doors (or snakes) heard horror stories about them but never seen one. Plenty of sunscreen on yourself and children as you can still get sun burnt in the shade (so I`m told). People are friendly but there are plenty of **** drivers about. Feel free to pm me if you need any into etc.

amanda

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived