The moral high ground

Alan Collett

I agree Raul. I came to Australia on a 457 and was one of the geologists that discovered the Tropicana mine, which now directly employs over 1000 and indirectly thousands. However, the argument is two fold. First, if the company had trained people before the boom, they probably would never have needed me.

As for hospitality, it comes down to the incredibly low pay combined with often poor planning and training. The London hospitality scene complains of the same issue as I am sure you are aware. I discussed this recently with my brother in law who owns several restaurants (140 staff). He has no problems with it, but he pays good salaries and staff work reasonable hours. That I think is the key. Trying to fix it with 457's is not the answer - it is the wrong solution for the problem.

The 457 has its place in the right conditions and the right time. But, with high unemployment - particularly youth unemployment - now is not the time and the hospitality industry is not the condition, as they need to look inward and fix their own industry to make it more attractive.

• 4 months later...

Alan, is there a yes/no answer to the first question you raised 'Can I apply to one State Government for sponsorship of my subclass 190 or 489 visa, and then live and work in another State?'. I have a 176 visa because my partner's skill was on the SA state list. My partner - who moved out before me and fulfilled the 2 years in SA (moral?) obligation - and I were both offered jobs in NSW 5 months after I arrived in SA. I've been in Aus 10 months now and need to apply for an RRV. Will my visa be revoked for not fulfilling the obligation? Will my request for an RRV be refused?