Shipping times

JEM44

Hi, I am thinking that when we move, we will ship our furniture etc a few weeks before we fly, then assuming we get a holiday rental for four weeks which should give us time to find a rental property, I would like to tie the shipping arrival date in with this, so the question is... how long does a container usually take to get from the UK to Perth?

I know this will be an average from people's experiences, but will give me an idea when to send our things.

Also, if our container arrives before we are ready with a rental, does it just stay in storage somewhere, presumably incurring a charge. If this is the case, where does it stay and what are the likely charges?

Thanks

Laura

Our furniture was packed on 10 July. The ship sailed on 14 July and arrived in Brisbane on 22 August and cleared customs last week. Nobody can tell you exactly but if you have your own container I understand that this is a typical timescale. Perth may be a little quicker than Brisbane.

Our furniture is currently in storage as we are not moving into our home until 2 October. We are being charged for a few weeks storage, can't recall the cost but it is not that much.

Hi Laura,

Depending on method of shipment you're right, this can vary. If you're having your own exclusive use container actual time on the water is around 5-8 weeks depending on shipping line and route of the vessel which can be advised when you are getting your quotes (you can select a fast/slow sailing in that bracket if thats important to you). You'll need to add on a few days before hand for packing, loading and transport into the port which again will vary based on when you want collection and when your vessel leaves. At destination you'll also want to add in some time (as an idea around 10 days) for the vessel to be unloaded, your goods to clear customs and be collected and for delivery to be arranged.

Shared load services vary more widely depending on which company you use and how frequently they send shared containers to Perth, but think more in the region of 12-16 weeks as a guide.

Usually the removal company will be able to provide local storage if you're not ready, depending on how long this is this may incur charges which again will vary with each company but they'll advise you of any storage charges in advance as part of your quote.

Hope that helps?

Do ask about alternative shipping routes/ vessels. We paid a bit more for a faster boat that set off later and arrived sooner. No guarantees though for weather delays or customs! Shared containers are much harder to predict unless you can get a guaranteed shipping date as they will juggle them around to fill containers and your load can be bumped to accommodate someone else's stuff that fits better or who may have paid a premium.

Archived