Sydney

Captain Roberto

Thank you Marisawright for your reply. We have never lived in a big city like Sydney or London so it is hard to imagine. We would like to live in an inner suburb for the first several months and decide where to settle in for a long term.

The difference in pricing is huge. If you look at the difference in pricing in London between living in Chelsea and living in, say, Egham, you get the idea.

Like London, commuting by car to Ultimo from the outer suburbs is impractical. To give you an idea, where I lived in Oatley, it took about 20 minutes to drive to Ultimo in the evening, but over 2 hours in rush hour. |However depending where you are in Ultimo, it may be walkable from Central Station (check "Directions" on Google maps to see how long it would take) - in which case you could live just about anywhere on a train line, as all train lines lead to Central.

Look at domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get an idea of prices. If you want a house anywhere near Ultimo, you will need at least $1.5 million.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your great post MARYROSE02. I hate commuting as well so that's why we want to live in an inner suburb. Actually we like the idea to live in Surry Hills and try to find an apartment there. It will be great if we can become neighbors. But I guess we should move there first and then start looking for an apartment. You are right. I will be working at UTS so hopefully we can get an accommodation in one of the inner suburbs.

Do you think biking to work is practical in the inner suburbs?

It's always difficult for me to give advice on family-friendly suburbs because I'm single. and I love living in the inner city, and I hate commuting! I know there are plenty of people with young families in my suburb - Surry Hills - and others nearby like Ultimo, Pyrmont, and Glebe. I assume that families are willing to forgo a large garden which they would usually get further out in the 'burbs, for the convenience of not having to commute long distances if they live in the inner city. You have to make more use of the local parks I guess.

I'm further guessing that, with a young child, you could live in an appartment - 'unit' in the Sydney vernacular, or 'home unit' providing it's not too high up. The other types of homes you will most encounter are terrace homes, usually built in the late 19th century, and more modern 'town houses, and both usually have a small courtyard/garden. There are young famlies living in my block of units.

Where are you going to be working in Ultimo? I'm guessing, again, UTS - University of Technology, the ABC, or Sydney Technical College (TAFE), although there are other employers.

I do not know what your budget is, which is important to know, to see where you can afford to live. If you are working at any of the places that I mentioned, you would be able to walk to work easily from my suburb, Surry Hills, as well as Redfern, Ultimo itself of course, Pyrmont, Glebe, Chippendale, maybe Newtown. You could look slightly further out, Stanmore, Petersham, Leichhardt, Lilyfield, but you need to check the transport options, which are mostly reasonable. Some of those suburbs are under the flight path which is something else to consider. It's five kilometres from Surry Hills to Leichhardt so a bus along Paramatta Road would not take long to Ultimo. Petersham and Stanmore have railway stations, and there is the light rail network which covers Glebe, Lilyfield, and out to Dulwich Hill.

The further out you move, the longer you have to commute, which is not always a pleasant experience in Sydney. If you walk to work, then you have to commuting costs, measured in time as well as money. You could do some comparisons on www.domain.com.au, if you have not already done so.

I don't know much about early childhood centres, though I see them all around. I Googled and this one came up, Ultimo page but I see they are in Surry Hills, Glebe and other inner suburbs.

http://www.sdn.org.au/centres/inner-sydney/sdn-ultimo/

Thanks for fabulous post Naomi from Manchester. It seems you found a great place to live in Sydney. We really want our little child can play with other kids in a small community like in a unit complex as you just described in your residential complex. Thank you for your tips. We will put our child's name on waiting lists soon. Do you play tennis or other sports? I love playing tennis and hope to find a group or club to join in the inner suburbs.

Hi McJim, we're a family of 3 living in an Inner West suburb near Ultimo. This is a fantastic place for small families to live! There's so much happening for children round here, the local councils make a real effort to put things on for families, and most of what's happening is within walking distance or just a few train stops away. If you're happy to live in a 2 bedroom, 1 car space flat (flats are known as 'units'), then you should be able to buy somewhere for around $650,000 (or rent for approx $650 per week). Lots of small families live in the Inner West in a unit within a large residential complex, as we do. Whilst we only have a balcony rather than a private garden, it's great here for kids because our complex has lovely shared garden space, pools, and tennis courts (which does mean there's high strata costs). The kids who live here play out together during evenings and weekends within the complex grounds, which is really nice and probably something that kids who live in houses can't do in their street these days since it isn't safe. We're also right next to a huge park and kid's bike track - there's loads of parks around, and yesterday it only took 20 mins to drive to the beach. Whilst there's a shortage of child care places in Sydney, it's much easier to find a place for a 4 yr old than a 1 yr old. The academic year starts first week in February (rather than in September like in the UK), and you'll find it easier to get a place at this time than in the middle of the year. You'll need to put your name down on every wait list in your area, but I wouldn't worry about finding a place too much - you'll be alright, I don't know of anyone who just hasn't been able to find one in the end.

You would have to speak to cyclists about the pros and cons of cycling to work. I loved cycling in my village in England and miss it dearly, but I'm scared to cycle in Sydney. There are increasing cycle routes but you also have to cycle on busy roads which many people do do but I think they are very vulnerable. If I see someone on a bike on Cleveland St, then a huge truck or bus, well I'm a wimp!

I'm about ten to fifteen mins walk from UTS, which would be the same from most of Surry Hills.

There is actually a huge new apartment and shopping complex right opposite UTS. I should know the name. It is as high, but not as ugly as the main UTS block. Behind that block there is a park, and thru there you encounter a little Warren of narrow streets where you might find somewhere nice to live. Chippendale I think it is called merging into Darlington.

Typing on my phone which means errors. Google Prince Alfred Park which has tennis courts, basketball courts, swimming pool, kids' play area.

Naomi knows much more than me about schools and childcare and her part of Sydney - Newtown?

Thanks for fabulous post Naomi from Manchester. It seems you found a great place to live in Sydney. We really want our little child can play with other kids in a small community like in a unit complex as you just described in your residential complex. Thank you for your tips. We will put our child's name on waiting lists soon. Do you play tennis or other sports? I love playing tennis and hope to find a group or club to join in the inner suburbs.

Ha! I'm terrible at tennis. I've seen a few posts from people looking for doubles partners on our residential website recently. There's lots of clubs round here, I'm sure you'll find one that suits you.

I like ocean swimming, and I use the lap pool and little gym in our complex to keep fit. I'd like to play a team sport (maybe water polo), but it's hard to commit to regular weekly practise sessions and weekend match days with a little one to look after.

There is actually a huge new apartment and shopping complex right opposite UTS. I should know the name ... Naomi knows much more than me about schools and childcare and her part of Sydney - Newtown?

Hi Maryrose, *waves* Do you mean One Central Park? We went to the show room when they were going up and we were considering buying off the plan, but those units are so small, quite a bit more cramped inside than other units around. And more expensive too. We were told that they were designed with the Asian market in mind, since small dimensions aren't considered so much of an issue, apparently (I have no idea if that's the case!)

There seems to be quite a lot of new child care centres being built round here. I don't know know much about Inner West / City Fringe schools since my daughter is only a toddler, but our local primary, Erskineville Public, has a great reputation, as does the fee paying catholic primary school right opposite it.

I gather from previous posts on PIO that there's a shortage of decent state secondary schools in this area (I think there's some decent fee paying secondaries). However, I work with a few former school teachers who inform me that Newtown High School of Performing Arts is really, really excellent and many people's first choice (even if you're not into performing arts). It's 50% selective (very competitive to get in to since it's so popular) and 50% for locals .... but we're one street outside of the catchment area! Anyway, with all the gentrification going on in the Inner West right now, state secondaries which are currently considered pretty terrible are likely to be performing a lot better in 10 yrs time or so.

Hi Maryrose, *waves* Do you mean One Central Park? We went to the show room when they were going up and we were considering buying off the plan, but those units are so small, quite a bit more cramped inside than other units around. And more expensive too. We were told that they were designed with the Asian market in mind, since small dimensions aren't considered so much of an issue, apparently (I have no idea if that's the case!)

There seems to be quite a lot of new child care centres being built round here. I don't know know much about Inner West / City Fringe schools since my daughter is only a toddler, but our local primary, Erskineville Public, has a great reputation, as does the fee paying catholic primary school right opposite it.

I gather from previous posts on PIO that there's a shortage of decent state secondary schools in this area (I think there's some decent fee paying secondaries). However, I work with a few former school teachers who inform me that Newtown High School of Performing Arts is really, really excellent and many people's first choice (even if you're not into performing arts). It's 50% selective (very competitive to get in to since it's so popular) and 50% for locals .... but we're one street outside of the catchment area! Anyway, with all the gentrification going on in the Inner West right now, state secondaries which are currently considered pretty terrible are likely to be performing a lot better in 10 yrs time or so.

Fort Street High School in Petersham is a public, selective school. A friend had two daughter who went there and did very well.

You live in "Erko" not Newtown? Or both?

English football about to start at ten 30!

To @McJim (not sure if I spelt it right). I have friends who live in the inner west, Annandale (next to Stanmore) and one in petersham. It's nice there. Loads of families. Nice Victorian houses, cool pubs, coffee shops and a good mix of people.

We didn't go there cos there's too many of us and we needed a state high school, but it's probably a more interesting place to be. Easy to get into the city as all the buses on the Parammatta road go past there, and go past ultimo on their way to central/town hall.

It's not too hard to get to a beach either, unless the roads are mad busy. I walked from central to Broadway today, which took me past ultimo. It's only 15 mins on foot.

So I'd definitely add those types of places to your list. Annandale, Stanmore, petersham etc

I've also found most places here have a busy road that goes through the suburb. Once you move away from that road it's always quieter. So there are more laid back areas even closer to the city. Always streets with leafy trees. It's hard, but if you can get chance to look about you'll soon know for yourself. We didn't really have time, but if I did I would have looked at more places.

uploadfromtaptalk1442305820312.jpg

Looking towards Prince Alfred Park from corner of Cleveland and Pitt Streets, Redfern. Beyond the traffic lights, you can see the tennis courts, and beyond them, the UTS main tower

George St, next one down from Pitt St (same Pitt and George as in the City. But now cut off by PA Park and the railway to Central) has proper cycle route which connects to one thru the park and down to Central.

uploadfromtaptalk1442305820312.jpg

Yes @MARYROSE02 we live a few doors down from that. It's the only pub! It's not so good, but it's ok. They sell cold beer [emoji106]

Its got one of the wonkiest pool tables I've ever played on!! we moved to Gordon 5 months ago and still steeling in but you're right on two fronts 1) not many pubs / bars up this way and 2) with two young boys we wouldn't use them anyway!!!

Some people say 'North Shore, North Snore'.

That is pretty spot on.

A lovely leafy generally quite place to live. But the restaurant, cafe, bar scene and general nightlife is missing somewhat. There are some places to go but far and few between.

Great nightlife in places like Newtown - but I would never want to live there.

You weight up the pros and cons of each place.

Its got one of the wonkiest pool tables I've ever played on!! we moved to Gordon 5 months ago and still steeling in but you're right on two fronts 1) not many pubs / bars up this way and 2) with two young boys we wouldn't use them anyway!!!

You could probably find a club with a 'kids friendly' policy, which many do have, as they try to maintain or build up their membership. Some people mock them, but I always enjoyed going along for the meat rafflle which many run.

There was a time when clubs were strictly adults only, with equally strict dress policies, but many have relaxed their rules. I don't know any of the clubs up that way, though. I should Google! Not much luck, though I did find a site set up by North Shore Mums which might be of interest. This seems like a good site for families on the North Shore.

http://www.northshoremums.com.au/18-local-restaurants-cafes-pubs-with-playgrounds/

Archived